1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why am I in work?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by dan_bo, 16 May 2008.

1. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

2. walker

walker New Member

that looks great, I'd love to be there

3. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Bear with me for a small digression...
    My mobile phone internet homepage is set to the BBC History site's "On this day" page, telling you events in history for that day (obviously). It struck me this morning that on the same day as the bouncing bombs were bouncing down the Ruhr, the Warsaw ghetto was being "cleared" of Jewish folk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/

•1943: The Warsaw Ghetto uprising is crushed by German troops and 60,000 Jewish people are shot or deported.

•1943: The 'Dambusters Raid' by the RAF's elite 617 Squadron breaches two huge dams in Germany's Ruhr valley.

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

Saw the Lancaster,Spitfire and Hurricane cruising overhead (quite low too) as I took my wife to work this morning (about 10.15 am). A fine sight indeed.

5. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I'm sure I heard a story that some Spitfire pilots were practising 'low' flying in the Derwent area, and one of then suddenly realised a Lancaster doing dambuster practice had just passed UNDERNEATH him..

Amazing skill - and the beauty is, all the gear was so simple really. A pair of lights for height, a forked stick with nails in as a distance sight, and a spinning bomb.

6. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

My brother (aged 45) was in the Air Force for 24 years and never really notices/bothers looking at the modern jets/bombers, but when a WW2 plane flies passed he always looks in admiration, goose pimples breaking out all over. His mates and contempories were the same.

7. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

The Spitfire is in my opinion the most beautiful aeroplane ever built, I always have a little model one in the house. I was blessed enough to see the Battle Of Britain air show at Duxford years ago and it was fantastic. What a wonderful sound those Merlins make.

I have great admiration for the men who flew these machines and gave their lives for us. We must never forget them.

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

I'm with Jeremy Clarkson on this. The Spitfire was possibly the greatest machine of all time.

9. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I was once at a classic car rally, and a load of us were gathered around some huge ol' Cadillac which had its engine running, and then something started up in the background and Tom said "That almost sounds like a Merlin..." And it was, bolted to a trailer thing, and pegged to the ground, with a stub of propellor on the prop shaft. We all deserted that dull ol' Caddy quick enough. What a sound! ;)

10. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

My brother worked at Rolls Royce and he took me to Hucknall to see a spitfire - as far as I recall it was having some work done it by RR and it must have been about 1969 or 1970, as the airfield was still being used. Brilliant.

11. TheDoctor

And they got the idea for the lights-for-height by watching a stripper! We're a classy lot, us engineering types.;)

12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

That's not in the film! ;0)

Where did you hear that, any more details? Was it spotlights on the stripper?

13. Nice picture of the day in my Mum's Daily Mirror today - probably in other papers too...

14. TheDoctor

It's in the book. One of the boffins explains about spotlights under the plane, and one of the pilots said 'Oh, I thought of that last night when they had a stripper on in the Naafi!'