Why are indicators not popular?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoGlo

Just a little personal research; why do people not use things like glove indicators more often? Is it a design problem with the existing ones or are they just not usual? Should I get some?

Welcome to the forum, I see you didn't post in The Welcome Mat and that may be why you are being ignored, 'course might be completely wrong, I often am. As to your query, if a pair of well illuminated gloves with a long lasting battery that were functional both as gloves and an indicator came on the market at a reasonable price then I can see their worth in an urban environment at night. I almost never ride in these conditions, do a lot of night riding but very rural so not much use, but anything that helps light up a cyclist has to be a good thing.

Shaun

Founder
Quite a lot of winter gloves have reflective logos/piping on them which shows up when you stick your hand out to indicate, and hopefully you're wearing suitable clothing and have appropriate lighting; so I imagine most people don't feel the need for glove-mounted indicators.

sabian92

Über Member
And actually probably a lot of drivers probably expect hand signals so if they had flashing lights on, maybe less of us would be ran over then hear the dreaded "Sorry mate, didn't see you".

snorri

Legendary Member
I doubt it would be possible to manufacture indicating gloves that would be effective, reliable, rugged, easy to use and at an attractive price. Perhaps technology will make it possible some day.:smile:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
If fitted to gloves, then they are a duplication of effort: you would have to stick your hand out to use them which you would be doing anyway.

They would also add bulk and I can't envisage a simple solution.

If they operate automatically from some sort of sensor then you have the problem of them activating at the wrong time or not at all.

If operated by a switch you would need two mounted on either side of the handlebar (to operate the opposite indicator); or one mounted in each glove (perhaps by pressing the thumb and forefinger together) which brings us back to the problem of inopportune use.

With brakes and gears being hand-operated we already have plenty to think of.

Furthermore, gloves are a very personal choice so a whole range of gloves would need to produced or some sort of kit which could be added to an existing pair of gloves; either option would be prohibitively expensive for a relatively small market.

OP
OP
J

JoGlo

Hi! I do a lot of riding around Manchester busy roads, it occurred to me yesterday that now its getting darker, cars might not be able to see my hand signals as easily. There are a few indicator lights available (amazon, ebay etc), I did wonder why these havent been picked up on.

Nantmor

I think indicators were invented to save drivers from having to open their windows to indicate. At first they were small illuminated semaphore arms which rose from the side of the car. We don't have the problem of being cut off from the outside. Do we really need to follow the motorists' solution to a problem we don't have? Surely an arm stuck out is pretty clear.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Hi! I do a lot of riding around Manchester busy roads, it occurred to me yesterday that now its getting darker, cars might not be able to see my hand signals as easily. There are a few indicator lights available (amazon, ebay etc), I did wonder why these havent been picked up on.
Plenty of gloves in hi-viz, with reflective trim or even just plain white.

I'd say that if a driver can't see you stick your arm out then they are either too far away to influence your turn or are that distracted/careless they wouldn't see your indicator.

Fancy being a guinea pig? Why not give one a whirl and let us know what you think of it in practice?

potsy

Rambler
What about something like these for the colder weather?
Wouldn't want indicators myself, if you indicate properly in good time there should be no reason why the drivers can't see you easily, especially with some reflective on the gloves
gloves.jpg

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
I was going to buy some though i thought putting my hand not arm just hand in the direction i want to go expect for going foreward. Incidents occured where peoples arms are hit by cars. Ouchie for them indeed.

Dan_h

Indicators are completely unnecessary. Even BMW stopped fitting them to their cars some time ago.

Now that is out of order, I have a BMW and it has indicators fitted as standard! However I would have to turn them on and off myself so I generally don't bother. If I could afford a chauffeur then I would definitely insist that they used them though!

Top Bottom