Why did this happen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
No brake lights?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

No brake lights?

Pooh! Far too easy! :smile: Funnily enough I didn't notice it at the time. I was surprised by the car stopping but I was too busy sliding and trying to steer (my back had locked up) to notice why it had happened.

Perhaps I should have been a little further back, but I'm sure if the cars brake lights were working I wouldn't of had a problem.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

The weight of your cam held your head in an unsuitable postion making dangerous, giving the 'anti' brigade more reason to hate cyclecams. (or the brake lights didn't work!)

No, you got that all wrong. It's actually the weight of my big head, which is that big due to my belief that I can do no wrong when cycling on the roads....;)

biking_fox

Guru
You closed up and lost safety margin as he eased off the speed by the junction. This put you too close when he did stop.

Difficult to judge distances through the camera though,

OP
OP
M

magnatom

The sun was nearly behind the trees, so you saw a destracting flickering effect from the sunlight. This lessened your ability to notice the lights.

Damn. How do you people do it! your far to bright....oh....wait a minute...you mentioned sun, didn't you? You know this is in Glasgow, right?

:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

You closed up and lost safety margin as he eased off the speed by the junction. This put you too close when he did stop.

Difficult to judge distances through the camera though,

Your right, I did get a little closer, but I think I was still far enough......had his brake lights have indicated that he was braking! :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Magna did that car have aftermarket chav lights? Maybe they didn't connect them properly so the brake lights work. Plus the central hi viz brake light wasn't working either. Still at least they indicated into the petrol station.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Your right, I did get a little closer, but I think I was still far enough......had his brake lights have indicated that he was braking! :smile:

Where possible try to watch traffic ahead of the car in front - it gives you more time to react. In the vid you were following the car too close for the conditions - regardless of whether the vehicle had faulty brake lights.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Magna did that car have aftermarket chav lights? Maybe they didn't connect them properly so the brake lights work. Plus the central hi viz brake light wasn't working either. Still at least they indicated into the petrol station.

No idea, although Ford Fiesta's aren't normally chav mobiles, are they?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Where possible try to watch traffic ahead of the car in front - it gives you more time to react. In the vid you were following the car too close for the conditions - regardless of whether the vehicle had faulty brake lights.

Perhaps. I do tend to watch the traffic in front. What made it more difficult here hill. At the point where the car in front started to brake, the car in front of it was on road that was flattening out, so I lost sight of its brake lights (lower down on the car in front), which normally I'd be able to see.

Of course, brake lights or not, you should always be able to react to what happens ahead of you. Here I didn't (well, actually I did with some fancy steering!).

Still, it wasn't helped by the lack of brake lights!

Top Bottom