Why do people hate Lance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
This is a genuine question.

Being new to the world of pro cycling, I'd always assumed that Lance was the big hero...he'd won the tour seven times, was a cancer hero, has set up a charity thing etc. However the more time I spend with cyclists the more I find people don't like him.

Why is this?

And who do we like?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
His arrogance is difficult to find appealing, but as a Cyclist he was one of the best.

yenrod

Cause he's a wise-ass (american speak :angry:) and as Steve says an arrogant bugger too.

LA's a can of spaghetti in an Italian kitchen :angry:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
He was a professional Tour de France rider rather than a professional cyclist. Certain parts of the media like to put him forward as a contender for the best ever, but you cannot compare him to the likes of Merckx, Hainault and others who rode full blooded for the whole season.

Had Merckx followed Armstrongs programme he would still be winning Tours de France now. Armstrong also showed a lack of respect towards his rivals.

He's easier to admire than to like. And that's just on the surface impression he creates for himself. Once you start watching him in more detail and reading about him he becomes almost impossible to like. Then you start putting together the (circumstantial) evidence against him and his alleged doping. And his very expensive lawyers. Once you do that, little incidents like the way he blocked a breakaway by Simeoni and the scrap between him and Greg Lemond assume greater significance.
Great cyclist, irrespective of the various allegations? Yes.
All round nice guy? Hell no....

Losidan

Smokin Joe said:
He was a professional Tour de France rider rather than a professional cyclist. Certain parts of the media like to put him forward as a contender for the best ever, but you cannot compare him to the likes of Merckx, Hainault and others who rode full blooded for the whole season.

Had Merckx followed Armstrongs programme he would still be winning Tours de France now. Armstrong also showed a lack of respect towards his rivals.

That sums it up for me...he rode only for the TDF where as some like an Induarian or Merckx raced all the big races to win.

shooter560

Because 99% of those who dislike him in the UK are jealous of his abilities and lets face facts its a UK trait to dislike and put down anyone who achieves anything above being a loser.

I have 100% respect for his riding abilities, and also his dedication to the sport and what was needed to achieve those goals, no where does it say be good but also bow to others, to be the best you have to be dedicated, single minded and willing to stand apart from the rest, he did all this and more and achieved 7 TdFs wins.

Maybe if people in the UK took more from his methods attitudes and drive they could also achieve more.

shooter560 said:
Because 99% of those who dislike him in the UK are jealous of his abilities and lets face facts its a UK trait to dislike and put down anyone who achieves anything above being a loser.

I have 100% respect for his riding abilities, and also his dedication to the sport and what was needed to achieve those goals, no where does it say be good but also bow to others, to be the best you have to be dedicated, single minded and willing to stand apart from the rest, he did all this and more and achieved 7 TdFs wins.

Maybe if people in the UK took more from his methods attitudes and drive they could also achieve more.

Seen dredd.

TheDoctor said:
Because even in his autobiography he comes across as an arrogant, self-centered pr1ck?

But...he's not daft. He wrote (or he got somebody else to write) an autobiography that paints a very harsh picture. That doesn't often happen. Most autobiographies are a list of good intentions, if nothing else.

Then again, it's strikingly obvious that a lot of people stuck by him, even when they had no real reason to. People he admits to having treated poorly. Why would they do that? I suspect there's a lot more to the man than the ruthless and ambitious person he describes in his book.

And you cannot fault his determination. Remember the cross-country excursion when Beloki crashed. Remember his riding the timetrial stage the year that Ulrich had him on the ropes? - he'd been out the day before and Ulrich had looked at a video.

I like him. The drug thing doesn't interest me. I like his intelligence, and his wit. I thought he rewrote the book on cadences. Pity about being mates with Robin Williams, tho'....

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Pity about the Kate Hudson thing too!!

This is really interesting. I completely agree (albeit only on the basis of having read his book) that he sounds pretty full of himself, which isn't very British, is it. And that isn't attractive in a hero.

But I do wonder, as Shooter said, if it's just a resentment thing because he was so successful? Was it dull when he won year after year after year?

I loved Yenrod's analogy about the spaghetti can, but does that mean that we hold cycling up as this beautiful, European sport of kings and we resented the brash, arrogant American bloke who smashed it to pieces?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking his determination, his commitment or his talent. He's a powerful cyclist and he utterly dominated the Tour for seven years. And he's as hard as titanium nails. That makes him a great athlete, but not a likable person. IMHO.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Cathryn said:
Was it dull when he won year after year after year?

I loved Yenrod's analogy about the spaghetti can, but does that mean that we hold cycling up as this beautiful, European sport of kings and we resented the brash, arrogant American bloke who smashed it to pieces?

In any sport it's a bit boring when someone wins time and time again. He always struck me as being like an automaton, it was as if he didn't find anything particularly difficult and there was an inevitability to him winning. It didn't really bother me that he was American, he wasn't the first arrogant American to win it, Le Mond had already started the trend in the 80's!

I really can't figure out the "99% of people are jealous of him" thing. I think shooter is off the mark as people haven't exactly been putting Cavendish down this year...or Sastre.

As a cyclist and testicular cancer survivor I've felt an affinity with Lance for a long time. I've followed his career, read the book, I have posters on the wall at work and I have a signed World Champs jersey and I admire him immensely. None of which changes the fact that he is an arrogant and self-centered son if a bitch. He is an extraordinary human being. You don't have to like him to admire his achievements.

Top Bottom