Why do politicians do it?

oldworld

Can someone explain why ministers and particularly the PM feel compelled to 'have a go'? Moving boxes, packing cartons and today the PM sanitising chairs.
What do they think it achieves. That we're all in it together?
It's starting to get irksome but not as bad as 'the government is working incredibly hard' as a response to difficult questions in interviews.

BoldonLad

Veteran
Can someone explain why ministers and particularly the PM feel compelled to 'have a go'? Moving boxes, packing cartons and today the PM sanitising chairs.
What do they think it achieves. That we're all in it together?
It's starting to get irksome but not as bad as 'the government is working incredibly hard' as a response to difficult questions in interviews.
It. is just part of the "media game". Rather like a "Royal Visit". It is a No-Win. If there is some "incident", say a flood, stay away, and be criticised, or, put in a pointless appearance, and, be criticised.

OP
oldworld

oldworld

It. is just part of the "media game". Rather like a "Royal Visit". It is a No-Win. If there is some "incident", say a flood, stay away, and be criticised, or, put in a pointless appearance, and, be criticised.
I understand their idea of being there, I just don't see why they have to have a go doing simple tasks.
They wouldn't think of clearing rubble after an explosion or filling sandbags in a flood.
It is a media thing but there must be others like myself who find it pointless.

classic33

Legendary Member
I understand their idea of being there, I just don't see why they have to have a go doing simple tasks.
They wouldn't think of clearing rubble after an explosion or filling sandbags in a flood.
That's the main part of it.
How much training would be required.
How would it look if they got it wrong, and what would it cost to correct.
They're portraying themselves as being at the bottom of the ladder, work wise.

DRM

Veteran
I do hope he signed in at reception, filled in the "I don't have covid symptoms" form, provided risk assessments and method statements, and cossh sheets for his wiping down kit,prior to turning up, they've no idea of the real world, the last thing any one needs is Toad of Toad Hall there getting in the way.

Arrowfoot

Veteran
Unfortunately the voting public want and expect it. Not many people tune into Parliamentary proceedings to gauge their MPs' effectiveness. But it's thumbs up when he or she is often seen in public, at events even if its a charade. The symbolism is effective,

classic33

Legendary Member
Unfortunately the voting public want and expect it. Not many people tune into Parliamentary proceedings to gauge their MPs' effectiveness. But it's thumbs up when he or she is often seen in public, at events even if its a charade. The symbolism is effective,
If you believe it to be a charade, it remains just that, a charade. An opportunity to be seen as though you're doing something, even if you aren't.

Often a bigger obstruction to the work being done, as they have little or no idea what they're doing.

Arrowfoot

Veteran
If you believe it to be a charade, it remains just that, a charade. An opportunity to be seen as though you're doing something, even if you aren't.

Often a bigger obstruction to the work being done, as they have little or no idea what they're doing.
There is one definition of charade. Why do politicians do it across the World rather than sit in their office and have a cuppa? If voters collectively deride this nonsense, it won't happen.

Moodyman

Guru
There is one definition of charade. Why do politicians do it across the World rather than sit in their office and have a cuppa? If voters collectively deride this nonsense, it won't happen.
You're presuming the average Joe has the same critical thinking as you.

I recall a local black man justifying his vote for a BNP candidate because he once helped him fill a form, or a group of Asians saying they're going to vote for Brexit because their street was full of foreigners.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
To be fair, they all do it. I vaguely remember a time when a politician would visit a factory and just stand and watch the production line, without feeling the need to put on a white coat and a hair net and make a biscuit, but it was decades ago.

Everything has to be media friendly and a photo opportunity or people won't read the story. It's as much about the public's short attention span as it is about government spin. I could have done without Johnson's thoughtless OJ Simpson joke as he put the gloves on though.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I never really understand it, but accept it is a facet of modern times.

What irks me the most is why the PM is always turning up whenever something happens. Doesn't he have, supposedly very talented, ministers in various positions. So, when, say, there is a rail crash, surely the Minister of Transport should be in charge, not the PM .

And it isn't just the current one, they have been doing it since at least Thatcher's time .. :wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One might argue a politician's words have very little impact anyway, but a well-judged photo opportunity does increase that impact.

I recall the blessed Margaret picking up a few pieces of strategically placed litter on Palace Green when she was backing the latest Keep Britain Tidy campaign.

I would not have remembered that backing had she merely flapped her gums about it.