Why do politicians do it?

Arrowfoot

Veteran
You're presuming the average Joe has the same critical thinking as you.

I recall a local black man justifying his vote for a BNP candidate because he once helped him fill a form, or a group of Asians saying they're going to vote for Brexit because their street was full of foreigners.
You lost me in para 2.

People vote for various reasons. I even heard a neighbour say that she voted for an MP because he looked like her son. The charade thing obviously has voter appeal or else politicians would not bother. They will pull some other stunt in its place to get votes. I am sure you know that kissing babies is another.

matticus

Über Member
I am sure you know that kissing babies is another.
I preferred it when someone egged them, then got punched in the face.

Do they still do that? Or has COVID postponed that sort of fun?

BoldonLad

Veteran
It is coming round to local election time here. So, we can expect the local newspaper, Facebook, etc to begin filling up with photographs of local councillors doing various “good deeds” ie tidying parks, painting fences, opening useless cycle tracks etc etc.

Oldhippy

Über Member
I would insist that if they wanted to show up for a photo opportunity they complete the entire shift so they know what it is like in the world of people that work hard but not for £100k a year with massive expenses on top of that. We had some local politicians turn in our day centre once and one of the most patronising twats I have ever met. I told him that is why so many people who have LD are treated like second class people because twats like him talk over their had and not directly to the person concerned.

Moodyman

Guru
You lost me in para 2.

People vote for various reasons. I even heard a neighbour say that she voted for an MP because he looked like her son. The charade thing obviously has voter appeal or else politicians would not bother. They will pull some other stunt in its place to get votes. I am sure you know that kissing babies is another.
You said "if voters collectively deride the charade". I was merely advising that many voters lack the critical thinking required to see the charade.

The voting examples were a demonstration of this.

MichaelW2

Veteran
Back when I worked in a camera shop, optics referred to the collection of glassware to look through or stick in front of camera bodies.
Somewhere along the line the term was pinched by political PR types to refer to the impression that politicians give to the public through their words, dress, actions, public appearances etc esp with regard to appearing to be politically correct. Looks matter and books are judged by their covers.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
not as bad as 'the government is working incredibly hard' as a response to difficult questions in interviews.
I like that one, it's truly classic, meaningless guff-platitude. I quite enjoy meaningless guff-platitude spotting. "We are working closely with X" is my enduring favourite, it usually means "we had a meeting with them a while back".
So for example at my last company, the CEO would say during a crisis that "We are working closely with our Government and industry partners on this", which actually meant that he'd sent me to a one hour meeting at the DfT 2 weeks ago, and I came back with some notes.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Can someone explain why ministers and particularly the PM feel compelled to 'have a go'? Moving boxes, packing cartons and today the PM sanitising chairs.

It would be nice if he showed the same level of interest at turning up to his COBRA meetings.

I mean, he only skipped the first five that were dealing with the (then) recent arrival of Covid.

Craig the cyclist

When there were floods not long ago, Boris was hammered for not going up to visit and help out in the way that PMs love to do in such situations. His excuse was he would just create a media circus that would get in the way of the experts doing their thing, but he got hammered anyway.

He went to a mass vaccination centre recently, and was hammered for taking along an appropriately socially distanced, small and PPE'd crew with him, and they said he was in the way with his media circus and should not have gone along but rather left the experts to it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

*Just to add, that goes for politicians of all parties, it really is just an open goal for the opposition to say 'see, they don't care' if they don't go. Or 'see they just get in the way' if they do!

When there were floods not long ago, Boris was hammered for not going up to visit and help out in the way that PMs love to do in such situations. His excuse was he would just create a media circus that would get in the way of the experts doing their thing, but he got hammered anyway.
He did eventually go which prompted the politer locals to point out a handy ditch he could go and die in.