Why is there always one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This not really commuting and I'm 100% to blame. I came back into town last night after dark after my cycle. I'd normally go through the park but it has no lights so I opted to go through town, only to find that all of the streets I used to use when I was younger have been narrowed (parking ceated) and made one-way. I only met 3 cars and a WVM. I was able to pull in no problem for the first 2 cars and WVM no problem, no reaction from them. I then did the same for the last car driver but they weren't happy with that and had to sound their horn as much as possible. Why is there always one ?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
Why is there always one ?

...cyclist who insists on riding the wrong way up a one way street. (you get what you pay's for i'm afraid)

Or were you riding the narrow street...you make it sound as if you were on a one way?

HLaB said:
Yip I admit to geting caught out, I just mystified how there's always one person who has to complain loudly.

I've been know to complain loudly...

If I cycled up the wrong way on a one way street, I'd expect to be complained at.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
if i remember correctly, there is some law where your not allowed to toot your horn after around 10pm.. report the hooter.

I cycle the wrong way up a one way street everyday for about 5m, i get no complaints from bus drivers, taxis or other cyclists who are going the right way..

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
gaz said:
if i remember correctly, there is some law where your not allowed to toot your horn after around 10pm.. report the hooter.

I cycle the wrong way up a one way street everyday for about 5m, i get no complaints from bus drivers, taxis or other cyclists who are going the right way..

You're right there is. I believe it is also illegal for you to shake a blanket out of your window before a certain time of the day (it used to scare the coal horses) and Taxi drivers are still supposed (by law) to change the straw in their cabs twice a day!!!

Honest!

And as far as the one way thing, I pop up the one way section outside Kensington Olympia every night (despite a big blue sign telling me to "Dismount") I never get a word from anyone…but I do literally crawl along at a walking pace and stop for cars/vehicles etc.

If I got shouted at, I would just apologise and move on (i'm in the wrong after all)

HLaB said:
the streets I used to use when I was younger

I have met you, you are not old enough to use this phrase.

HLaB said:
Nah just the tesco cree, and EL 410. I must admit I wimped out of facing the neds/ druggies etc :biggrin:

Don't wimp out. Firstly, I've heard remarks of "Cor - fought vat wazza coppah!" from assorted neds as I've gone past them with my cree, secondly, if it came down to it, the cree held in a clenched fist makes a handy kubotan/yawara stick, if you know how to use it, with the added benefit of confusing the other neds as you bop the end with the on/off button off the forehead of the first ned you grab, thereby producing a strobe effect.

Erm, you wer riding against the traffic on a one way street and then got upset because one of the vehicles going in the correct direction remonstrated with you.

Sorry, but I've physically stopped cars doing this on our one way system before now for their and the safety of others around them.

I've not bollocked them, but I have let them know that they were going the wrong way - they were lost though, and the system in my town is very confusing for those who don't live here.

If you live there, you really should know better. You do set a bad example for the more feeble minded on 2 (or 4) wheels to follow.

ChrisKH

Guru
Twenty Inch said:
Don't wimp out. Firstly, I've heard remarks of "Cor - fought vat wazza coppah!" from assorted neds as I've gone past them with my cree, secondly, if it came down to it, the cree held in a clenched fist makes a handy kubotan/yawara stick, if you know how to use it, with the added benefit of confusing the other neds as you bop the end with the on/off button off the forehead of the first ned you grab, thereby producing a strobe effect.

Classic! Would be even better to watch. :smile:

Top Bottom