Why no mudguards for road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoldenAxe

I cycle around London and am looking for a new frame.

Problem: road bikes never seem to come with mudguard holes. Why?!

Am I alone in thinking this is crazy. OK, if you are perfomance obsessed then mudguards are a burden. But for the other half (majority?!) of riders then surely mudguards are essential. I'd even like to buy a carbon frame with mudguards. No doubt the manufacturers think I'm barmy, but it's a serious point. The added weight of a couple of braze-ons would be negligable.

Can anyone recommend a brand or frame which is ideal for commuting and has mudguards - and ideally holes for a pannier too? And whilst your at it, explain why mudguards are frowned upon by makers of racing frames.

Seems perverse to me!

yello

Welcome the CycleChat GoldenAxe.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Welcome
I think your barmy for wanting to put full mudguards on a beutiful carbon race bike.
The only mudguards you could use are race blades. These are fine, but when there is standing water, expect the water from your tyres to go down your legs, into your shoes and give you wet feet. Still, it didnt stop me going out yesterday and getting my feet soaked.
If you have a light carbon race frame, you normally want it light, sleek and fast, putting on mudguards adds weight, and if you race they really are unnecersery. You cant put braze ons, on a carbon frame i dont think, it would have to be put into the weave of the carbon and secured that way.
Would a touring frame not be better? You can put on full mudguards, racks and whatever else you want. That might suit your needs more then a full on racer. You will still have the drop bars and some of the speed, but wont be as light weight.

domtyler

Über Member
You don't spend thousands on a top of the range carbon fibre race bike and use it for wet weather commuting!

Tynan

Veteran
the audax end of road bikes do them

condor make two nice commuters with full guards and racks

suspect you wasting time with carbon frames though

RedBike

Problem: road bikes never seem to come with mudguard holes. Why?!

The problems is most race bikes don't have enough clearance between the frame and rear tyre or the fork and front wheel to allow you to fit a mud-guard.

The good news is there are loads of roads frames that do have enough clearance and braze-ons for mud-guards. These bikes are generally advertised as audax, training.

carbon bike with guards!

For commuting, I would recommend the Ribble winter bike.

RedBike

I'm too slow again!

Even if a frame hasn't got any mounts you could just use p-clips!
Race blades are better than nothing; but they're nowhere near as effective as full length guards.

chrisuren

Joe24 said:
Welcome
I think your barmy for wanting to put full mudguards on a beutiful carbon race bike.
The only mudguards you could use are race blades. These are fine, but when there is standing water, expect the water from your tyres to go down your legs, into your shoes and give you wet feet. Still, it didnt stop me going out yesterday and getting my feet soaked.
If you have a light carbon race frame, you normally want it light, sleek and fast, putting on mudguards adds weight, and if you race they really are unnecersery. You cant put braze ons, on a carbon frame i dont think, it would have to be put into the weave of the carbon and secured that way.
Would a touring frame not be better? You can put on full mudguards, racks and whatever else you want. That might suit your needs more then a full on racer. You will still have the drop bars and some of the speed, but wont be as light weight.

+2

Welcome to CCF

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ribble winter frame or complete bike..... will do the job............... Both my road bikes have less than 5mm clearance from tyre to brake, and they are 15 plus years old - you need to buy a specific frame set - i.e. not a race frame....... it's nothing new at all...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome!

Why encumber a short wheelbase lightweight race-frame with mudguards? Most aren't designed for them. Makes no sense. I don't even want race-blades on my best road bike.
The number of seriosly wet commutes/year is actually quite low anyhow.

However, if I wanted mudguards, then as suggested go for the Condors, Pearsons or other Audaxy style bikes. Also there are the basic Trek roadies and the Giant SCR's that will take full guards and a light rack. A £500 SCR for me would make a great all-round commuter bike if you want a dry arse.

Mostly I don't mind mine getting wet!

PS: bonj will be along to tell you why you never ever need mudguards.

fossyant

If your bike is day in, day out bike, then guard fitting is needed - I use my old rigid MTB for commuting, but fully guarded - makes life much better and dry... the two road bikes are saved for better weather, or training

There are a number of folk with road bikes on here with SKS full guards fitted - just don't get the race frames - e.g. Giant do SCR range which take guards, and then do TCR which doesn't !!! (someone correct me if I've fuddled this up)

fossyant

Fab Foodie said:
The number of seriosly wet commutes/year is actually quite low anyhow.

Where have you been this week...... I'll post my pics of my new home made splash guard - works a treat and sit's just 2 inches off the tarmac...no...it's not a coke bottle, it's a trimmed pool liner.....looks the business...and works...'cos it's been GRIM this week........;)

Top Bottom