why oh why

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dand_uk

why do people in cars think its safe to overtake a cyclist on a BLIND corner where they can not possibly see if there is any traffic coming. They hedge their bets by giving the cyclist the least room possible to ensure they have a shorter distance to swerve left if a car comes the other direction.

Lucky I'm aware of what's going on and take evasive action.

Also, I got beeped this morning for riding out of the door zone, the car overtook only to stop at a pedestrian red light 30m ahead lol. Gave him a wave and let him go on his way after the lights changed.

Moan over.

Mad at urage

Why do some insist on overtaking 30m before a T-junction, on a blind corner, on a steep down-slope, pitted with potholes, in icy weather (I could hear the ice crunching under my tyres, so it wasn't a smooth sheet at least)?

I don't have a definitive answer, but suspect it is something to do with the idea that everyone is entitled to a car driving license, no matter how stupid or antisocial their behavioral norms are. The car license has become a 'human right' in our society.

crumpetman

I had a good one this morning, 25mph keeping up with the car in front of me and leaving about 2 car lengths gap (probably should have left a bigger gap but I had a good view ahead) and an ambulance (taxi sort not emergency one) pulls level with me, the driver waves his hand motioning towards the kerb then pulls around me forcing me to brake to let him in! Ten seconds later he was in a queue to turn right and I went past him.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Got into a bit of a rumble myself today. Tried to take a leaf from Benborp's book and remain calm about it, but think I wavered a little at the end.

Started with advisory / informative: "That gap was my braking distance."
Quickly went through the educative / explanatory: "Gravity affects us all. If you're coasting down and catching me up, you can bet that for one reason or another, I've got the brakes on."

Ended with conclusive / abusive: "Look. I know you're having problems understanding why I'm annoyed but the deal is pretty simple. If I see your brake lights within half a second of the moment you squeeze infront, you're automatically a tosser."

To be fair, the driver did have a point. I don't pay road tax. Not even on my car.

Top Bottom