Wierd drop out width

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
I just acquired a nice Italian Alan ally road frame but it's got 136mm rear drop out width?? In my eagerness to grab it I didn't notice the long axle on the rear wheel and all the spacers :rolleyes: I suppose as I cant cold set it I'm just going to have to adapt any new wheels I get with a similarly long axle!! I only posted this because I was wondering if anybody else had come across that width drop out anywhere except on a MTB ( according to Sheldon ;) I'm a bit concerned that the previous owner might have bodged it for some reason. Having said that it doesnt look like it cos the paint is immaculate and original and I checked all the joints for cracking and nothing was apparent?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I believe some touring frames have 135mm dropouts.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Mmm not come across that Joe. Silly question but can you get extra wide hubs to allow for greater dishing for strength?? I'm just not happy with all those spacers. BTW The Alan has a very short wheel base, straight(ish) forks and no clearance for guards. I suppose that if the Italians can put a RH thread on the RH side of a bottom bracket then they can do mysterious things to drop out widths? Still worries me though....

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Just did another google search and sure enough theres reference to 135mm drop outs on tourers and cross bikes.Sorry to have wasted your time! Still not clear why they were necessary on this frame though

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
just use MTB hubs? XTR and XT hubs will have as good if not better bearings than any other road hubs. the seals will definitely be better.
no need for spacers.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
just use MTB hubs? XTR and XT hubs will have as good if not better bearings than any other road hubs. the seals will definitely be better.
no need for spacers.

I'm getting there slowly Steve ... ta ... its an age thing:blush:

Top Bottom