Wiggle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Working fine here. What happens when you try to get there? Timeout, 404?

Dave.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Who is your ISP ?

AOL didn't access Wiggle, so I manually configured my routers to point to Open DNS's servers. (www.opendns.org)

It can be a problem with your providers DNS servers (i.e. the ones that convert the name to the internet IP address) - sometimes it's not been cached (stored) properly. Open DNS is a free site / service - you just change a couple of settings either on your router or on your internet settings - the site tells you.

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
fossyant said:
Who is your ISP ?

AOL didn't access Wiggle, so I manually configured my routers to point to Open DNS's servers. (www.opendns.org)

It can be a problem with your providers DNS servers (i.e. the ones that convert the name to the internet IP address) - sometimes it's not been cached (stored) properly. Open DNS is a free site / service - you just change a couple of settings either on your router or on your internet settings - the site tells you.

Yep I'm with AOL. The message I get is from my browsers (IE and Firefox) which both say they cannot locate the server. I get the same problem with one other non-cycling site I use, so it could be an ISP problem. I'll look at your suggestion, thanks.

dodgy

Then it's definitely a DNS issue with your ISP. You could follow the advice from fossyant and manually configure your DNS settings to use opendns instead. If you decide to do that, here is OpenDns's IP - http://208.67.219.99

Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Thanks guys. I'm going down the open DNS route. I vaguely remember a thread on this forum some weeks ago that mentioned an issue between AOL and Wiggle, but I didn't fully understand it, and as I've never until now, had the need to contact Wiggle I wasn't concerned.

fossyant

I've just left my router pointing at Open DNS and all the connection problems I was having with AOL back in Feb/March have now gone - been 100% fine and no trouble.

OpenDNS just basically cashes the net nemes / everything like your ISP, but you can restrict the net access if you set up a user account - like no dodgy sites etc.

Tynan

Veteran
AOL is the utter spawn of the devil, I have no idea how they dare pretend to be an ISP let alone why people use them

fossyant

Well, got a free laptop out of them, and very fine it is ! Connection issues now sorted - did question my choice but it's fine now...oh and I don't use the AOL software at all.....

Monkey Boy

Uncle Mort said:
It's fine for me as well. In fact I've been trying to get off it before my credit card goes into meltdown :biggrin:

:biggrin:

Which reminds me.....like I need reminding....where are my flippin new wheels Mr Wiggle? Got the Shim*no 7850 CL's on order and I'm dyyyyyiiiing for them to come into stock. Webulator says they are gettin a new batch in early May......well, it's flippin early May, innit.

Top Bottom