Wildlife on the way to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but thought the eagle-eyed amongst our commuters might be interested in this survey:

Workers are being encouraged to make a note of the wildlife they encounter during their daily commutes.

Described as the first nationwide survey of its kind, BBC Wildlife Magazine is asking people to send in details of birds and animals they see.

It is also keen to receive details or photographs of people's memorable wildlife encounters.

The magazine plans to publish the results from the survey in a special report later in the year.

"It is not a comprehensive, scientific survey, but hopefully it will cast a light and help illuminate where our wildlife is and how it exists," explained James Fair, the magazine's environment editor.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mostly dead badgers, sadly.:sad:

I used to have to start a production run at 06:30, an saw all sorts on our local cycle path from an old Badger that used to sit and watch me go by to foxes and on on occasion a close SMIDSY with a deer!

Tynan

Veteran
two huge great pigeons/doves the size of chickens land and stroll around my back garden every day

I remark to the rest of the family and one day it will be so, that they're big enough to eat

I used to have to start a production run at 06:30, an saw all sorts on our local cycle path from an old Badger that used to sit and watch me go by to foxes and on on occasion a close SMIDSY with a deer!

I've seen a deer too! Amazing how far 'in city' they will come if they are following a river or similiar.....

Otherwise its mostly foxes.....

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
technically if they land in your garden you are within your rights to shoot and eat vermin (wood pidgeon is tasty)
usually i see grey squirrels, i aim for the buggers myself, other then that i see a number of birds (i live near a SSSI wetland) including a blue tit that nearly took my head off the other day, and i'm sure i saw a greater spotted woodpecker on friday.
pheasants happy grazing on farmers land, the odd rabbit, buzzards, llama's (farmer keeps em) and the odd fox.
hot seen hedgehogs in years tho :*( which is a real shame...

Jonathing

Über Member
I keep seeing a Jay and several foxes and deer now I've realised my fixed is capable of negotiating some woodland on my way home at dusk.

Bman

Guru
I keep seeing a Jay and several foxes and deer now I've realised my fixed is capable of negotiating some woodland on my way home at dusk.

I'm sure its very silent too :smile:

gregsid

I've been spotting a pair of Bullfinches recently in the same part the hedge on my route. I think they're feeding babies. I LOVE the bold brick red of the male - quite lovely. Gives me a warm glow before getting to work.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I saw a very unexpected bird while cycling through Peckham this afternoon. It was in a cage on the passenger seat of a van bearing the logo Raptorworld. Given that Peckham rules cycling can be pretty demanding I wasn't able to get a really good look at it but it wasn't a raptor - it was jet black with bright yellow plumage around the eyes. I don't have a hope in hell of identifying it - far too exotic for south east London.

Top Bottom