Will be doing my first commute on Wednesday!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The famous office move got delayed time after time, but it looks like there is no further stay of execution :wacko: I'm actually quite nervous, the whole thing is only about a 10 mile round trip, with the way there a very pleasant route mainly through the park...the way home on the contrary is along main roads after 10pm, so not looking forward to that!)

In a way I'm looking forward to it, because it means I get some base miles in on a daily basis (even if it's only a measly 10) and it will be a nice way to clear my head after work, on the other hand it is a bit of a pain - currently I have a short 20min walk to work, which takes me through the town centre, so I can get bits of shopping, trips to the bank, library, etc done on the way. Now I have to ride to the sticks, take an extra set of clothes, etc. and am stuck with the rather infrequent busses if I can't ride for whatever reason....Also quite worried about the bike being locked up outside all day...

Heyho, it might be fun after all...Wish me luck!!!!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Good luck ;)

PBancroft

Fingers crossed for you. Am sure that it will be fine - probably more fun than you're expecting.

When you say bike locked up outside, do you mean out the front, or out the back?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
3tyretrackterry said:
why cant you reverse your route in to avoid the main road?

I think its so that she avoids the park late at night. Maybe PP you will find someone else is also cycling the same route as you?

HelenD123

Guru
I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially starting at this time of year. You'll soon get the hang of what to take, and, as you say, it's great for keeping up the mileage. Good luck!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi there Punky, once you've found yourway around your new workplace, maybe there will somewhere secure inside the new building, or at least away from prying eyes and hands.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
No, that's never going to happen - it's one of those amazing new buildings that have not got any storage space at all and they won't even allow anything on the walls (not even the whiteboard we actually need :tongue:) Even in the old building, one of the directors nearly had a fit when one of the staff left his bike inside (out of sight and office not open to the public), so he will have to stay outside I'm afraid.

Looks there is only going to be a couple of people cycling, with me being the only one on the evening shift, so I can't even hope they will nick the bike next to mine instead!;) (Everybody else seems to think 10 or so miles is way too far) Oh well, just need to make sure he's well locked up and all bits removed - hopefully it will all be fine...

Have stocked up on baby wipes, so I should be fully prepared!

HelenD123

Guru
punkypossum said:
(Everybody else seems to think 10 or so miles is way too far)

They might change their mind once they've seen you cycling. I've managed to convert one colleague and another one is thinking about it. I'm so chuffed!

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
The stand is half covered, so only his tail end should get wet (if the wind is coming from the wrong direction)... Will work out the logistics of leaving the lock, etc. once I've done it...

You might find that you don't need to change loads of clothes - maybe just a top, or maybe a skirt to change into. Certainly not when it's freezing cold.

I do a 9 mile round trip and don't actually need to change apart from in high summer (I vaguely remember) or pouring rain. My office is quite casual though (trousers/shirts/jumpers not suit and tie). I would change if I had to wear smart clothes.

Top Bottom