Will my water bottle cause certain death?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
I've met a number of different people recently who have maintained that using plastic water bottles can be dangerous because they leach nasty chemicals into your drink.

As one of these was a biologist, and might actually have known what he was talking about, I am wondering whether to take this threat seriously and switch to metal drinks bottles.

Or am I doomed already after a lifetime of drinking out of plastic? ;):wacko::biggrin:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yes. Buy a tin of black paint. Go home and paint a cross on your front door. That applies to (I reckon) everyone on here. We're all doomed. Doomed I tells yer!

Davidc

Guru
You're doomed

So am I

So are many other cyclists, athletes, sportspeople.

Abandon hope

Now

Edit: Where's Frazer from Dad's Army when you need him?

WeeE

Well, you can buy steel bottles anyway these days, which are BPA-free (whatever that is) from http://www.onegreenbottle.com - as well as not being poisonous in any discernable way, these have the added advantage of being indestructable enough to boil water in.
Their use as a handy road-rage deterrent is also an interesting possibility.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
They can leach phalates and other plasticizers which really aren't good for you.
Water bottles are food grade plastic so you shouldn't get excessive amounts though.

I wouldn't personally worry too much about it.

HelenD123

Guru
Isn't it more of an issue with bottled water which you'd buy? This could have been sat on the shelf for months. I can't see that much could leach into a freshly filled bottle on a few hours ride.

PaulB

Legendary Member
mr Mag00 said:
you are more likely to change sex than die

Why didn't the Saffers try this one on in the case of Caster Semanya instead of declaring World War III?

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Danny said:
I've met a number of different people recently who have maintained that using plastic water bottles can be dangerous because they leach nasty chemicals into your drink.

As one of these was a biologist, and might actually have known what he was talking about, I am wondering whether to take this threat seriously and switch to metal drinks bottles.

Or am I doomed already after a lifetime of drinking out of plastic? ;):wacko::biggrin:

Only if you get one stuck in your throat:biggrin:

Top Bottom