William Hill closures threaten jobs.

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Cycleops, 4 Jul 2019.

1. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

BBC News - William Hill plans 700 store closures putting 4,500 jobs at risk
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48868335
    William Hill has said the cap of £2 on fixed bet gaming machines has seen revenues fall sharply in their shops thus forcing the closure of 700 shops and the loss of 4500 jobs.
    Is this acceptable given the misery these "crack cocaine" machines can cause? What do CCers think?

2. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Good. Many were fake shops set up to get around fixed odds betting terminal regulations anyway.

3. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Whilst I feel sorry for the workers, I feel more sorry for the people whose lives have been ruined by irresponsible gambling.

4. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

Mr Sledgehammer, may I introduce you to Mrs Nut?

What next - all pubs to be taxed out of existence, too? (because much higher propensity to become alcohol addicted than betting addicted - and demonstrably far, far more significant societal issues caused). Yet pubs are pillars of the community and all that...

Unusual for me to post a source I haven't researched, but take a look at one anyway:
    http://www.ias.org.uk/Alcohol-knowl...tsheets/Estimates-of-the-cost-of-alcohol.aspx

It's the latest panic, and an overreaction, but because betting, whoopy-doo, away you go, £100 to £2 in one fell swoop.

...and yes I have previously worked in the industry for a reasonably significant period, and yes I think that FOBTs were becoming unhealthy, and yes I thought the stakes needed to be cut by the way, lest you think I'm a propagandist.

mustang1, R_nger and Smokin Joe like this.
  5. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

There are four betting shops within 100 metres of where I'm sitting now. Some of them are different brands in same chain.

FOBT's should never have got where they were. Retrenchment long overdue.

6. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Four betting shops near me which is dwarfed by the number of charity shops but it's still too many.

marinyork, Mrs M, SpokeyDokey and 2 others like this.
  7. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

You could argue that pubs are already being taxed out of existence. In Scotland perhaps the opposite for pubs with minimum alcohol pricing, but overall people are being protected from themselves.

Betting is not being banned and if it was not for FOBT those stores would not really exist.

Diogenes likes this.
  8. Bonefish Blues

Agree, as I said above, but there was demonstrably a compromise amount much much closer to 2 than 98 which the Gambling Commission were also in favour of, but which was ignored.

I guess kicking the Bookies makes a good headline for politicians eh?

9. winjim

winjim Iron pony

When you can happily spend all day losing 5p in the pound to slot machines on your phone, it is difficult to feel sympathy for the gambling industry.

Having said that, as much as I think betting shops are the scourge of the high street, William Hill have basically just bought me a new bike so I shouldn't really complain.

randynewmanscat likes this.
  10. stalagmike

stalagmike Enormous member

Hills will just be closing stores because most betting is done online now surely.

meta lon, Dayvo and Diogenes like this.
  11. Bonefish Blues

Fobt machines are a part of the mix. High Street bookmaking still has a place, online is growing at its expense to a degree, but mainly because it's simply growing full stop.

Now if we wanted to look at something that needs some better scrutiny, then online's where I'd look - but of course that's not as visible and doesn't make such good 'crack cocaine' headlines such as already used on the thread, or 'scourge of the high street'. Still, let's not let facts get in the way.

12. Bonefish Blues

Some wouldn't, but there would still be a significant presence.

How many people contributing to the thread have spent any amount of time in one, I wonder?

Smokin Joe likes this.
  13. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

One thing I've noticed about betting shops is that there is almost always the mandatory BSO mountain bike with a saddle probably too low for it's rider and a rusty chain.......never locked up just propped against the building.

14. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Not many I'd wager!

stephec, Profpointy, Mugshot and 3 others like this.
  15. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Many moons ago I did part time work for about a year in one (I was also a bingo caller, collected golf balls at a driving range and worked a door/events). At the time I thought the shops were pretty much a replacement for care in the community.

NorthernDave, Diogenes and Cycleops like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice