William Hill closures threaten jobs.

Cycleops

Guru
BBC News - William Hill plans 700 store closures putting 4,500 jobs at risk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48868335
William Hill has said the cap of £2 on fixed bet gaming machines has seen revenues fall sharply in their shops thus forcing the closure of 700 shops and the loss of 4500 jobs.
Is this acceptable given the misery these "crack cocaine" machines can cause? What do CCers think?

Diogenes

brr, summer's over
Good. Many were fake shops set up to get around fixed odds betting terminal regulations anyway.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Whilst I feel sorry for the workers, I feel more sorry for the people whose lives have been ruined by irresponsible gambling.
Mr Sledgehammer, may I introduce you to Mrs Nut?

What next - all pubs to be taxed out of existence, too? (because much higher propensity to become alcohol addicted than betting addicted - and demonstrably far, far more significant societal issues caused). Yet pubs are pillars of the community and all that...

Unusual for me to post a source I haven't researched, but take a look at one anyway:
http://www.ias.org.uk/Alcohol-knowledge-centre/Economic-impacts/Factsheets/Estimates-of-the-cost-of-alcohol.aspx

It's the latest panic, and an overreaction, but because betting, whoopy-doo, away you go, £100 to £2 in one fell swoop.

...and yes I have previously worked in the industry for a reasonably significant period, and yes I think that FOBTs were becoming unhealthy, and yes I thought the stakes needed to be cut by the way, lest you think I'm a propagandist.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Mr Sledgehammer, may I introduce you to Mrs Nut?

What next - all pubs to be taxed out of existence, too? (because much higher propensity to become alcohol addicted than betting addicted - and demonstrably far, far more significant societal issues caused). Yet pubs are pillars of the community and all that...
You could argue that pubs are already being taxed out of existence. In Scotland perhaps the opposite for pubs with minimum alcohol pricing, but overall people are being protected from themselves.

Betting is not being banned and if it was not for FOBT those stores would not really exist.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
There are four betting shops within 100 metres of where I'm sitting now. Some of them are different brands in same chain.

FOBT's should never have got where they were. Retrenchment long overdue.
Agree, as I said above, but there was demonstrably a compromise amount much much closer to 2 than 98 which the Gambling Commission were also in favour of, but which was ignored.

I guess kicking the Bookies makes a good headline for politicians eh?

winjim

Iron pony
When you can happily spend all day losing 5p in the pound to slot machines on your phone, it is difficult to feel sympathy for the gambling industry.

Having said that, as much as I think betting shops are the scourge of the high street, William Hill have basically just bought me a new bike so I shouldn't really complain.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Hills will just be closing stores because most betting is done online now surely.
Fobt machines are a part of the mix. High Street bookmaking still has a place, online is growing at its expense to a degree, but mainly because it's simply growing full stop.

Now if we wanted to look at something that needs some better scrutiny, then online's where I'd look - but of course that's not as visible and doesn't make such good 'crack cocaine' headlines such as already used on the thread, or 'scourge of the high street'. Still, let's not let facts get in the way.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Some wouldn't, but there would still be a significant presence.

How many people contributing to the thread have spent any amount of time in one, I wonder?
Many moons ago I did part time work for about a year in one (I was also a bingo caller, collected golf balls at a driving range and worked a door/events). At the time I thought the shops were pretty much a replacement for care in the community.

Top Bottom