William Hill closures threaten jobs.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Businesses don't make decisions to make less money, especially big businesses. This is a cold calculated move to preempt more punitive legislation.

As pubs are seemingly a comparison in this thread it is a condition that they do not serve anyone already inebriated with alcohol. But that would cost them so they'd rather not.
I think the point I didn't make particularly well was that the founding legislation was flawed. That's what created this whole situation, but I do believe that it is trying to put its house in order.

The industry was pilloried (Guardian search is your friend) for its pathetic contribution. Industry increases it massively. Industry is cynical. Industry unable to win, either way, but as I say, motives have I think, changed. Kenny Alexander has been particularly active - he knows that (for purely commercial reasons, I'm sure you'll say...) it needs to properly address this issue - because this thread, never matter that a lot is misinformation: perception, reality and all that.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I read Ladbrokes Coral have today said 900 shops over 2 years. Downside originally estimated at £145m pa actually £120m pa, based on player behaviour & returns. Total job losses incl Wm Hill will be c10K.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Consensus is that they were pretty straight - after all, this is a highly predictable product with known return per stake, so it would have been easy to expose if they had tried to fabricate.
Except that the bit they got wrong - the demand - is difficult to model unless you are sitting in the head office of a betting company. Nobody outside the industry has the knowledge and expertise to predict accurately, and nobody inside is going to reveal quite how political the prediction was.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I read Ladbrokes Coral have today said 900 shops over 2 years. Downside originally estimated at £145m pa actually £120m pa, based on player behaviour & returns. Total job losses incl Wm Hill will be c10K.
Which implies each shop employs 6 or more people. These are shops usually staffed by one person at a time.

We were talking about public statements made for political reasons....

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Which implies each shop employs 6 or more people. These are shops usually staffed by one person at a time.

We were talking about public statements made for political reasons....
Cough, part time, cough. Come one, in your desperation to find a stick to beat the bookies with, you are overlooking the obvious.

Public statements are statutory declarations as plcs.

BBC News - William Hill plans 700 store closures putting 4,500 jobs at risk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48868335
William Hill has said the cap of £2 on fixed bet gaming machines has seen revenues fall sharply in their shops thus forcing the closure of 700 shops and the loss of 4500 jobs.
Is this acceptable given the misery these "crack cocaine" machines can cause? What do CCers think?
Yes I think it acceptable. The collateral damage of lost jobs is worth it if those milking parlours are made unattractive to punters and owners alike. One thing always stuck out for me when travelling in the UK, the amount of betting shops in poorer areas. I lived in an affluent area and there was one Coral owned shop and one William Hill. 25 miles north of me a town with no less than 11 betting shops for a population of 110,000, on one street there was/is 4 such shops.
I have read columnists saying that controls on gambling is "nanny state" interference in responsible adults lives, last time I checked compulsive gambling was seen and treated as a mental illness.

The "owner" is inside the shop smoking a large spliff with his pals and there was 3 bikes outside, one a BMX no less! I am not joking, I saw it from the window of a mates print shop. The shop was four doors from a weatherspoons and there was continual traffic between the two places.
I assume the manager cringed but turned a blind eye because he needs his numbers for the week.

You are old like me, the smell now is of strong weed.

Top Bottom