William Hill closures threaten jobs.

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Cycleops, 4 Jul 2019.

1. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

Consensus is that they were pretty straight - after all, this is a highly predictable product with known return per stake, so it would have been easy to expose if they had tried to fabricate.

2. Bonefish Blues

I think the point I didn't make particularly well was that the founding legislation was flawed. That's what created this whole situation, but I do believe that it is trying to put its house in order.

The industry was pilloried (Guardian search is your friend) for its pathetic contribution. Industry increases it massively. Industry is cynical. Industry unable to win, either way, but as I say, motives have I think, changed. Kenny Alexander has been particularly active - he knows that (for purely commercial reasons, I'm sure you'll say...) it needs to properly address this issue - because this thread, never matter that a lot is misinformation: perception, reality and all that.

3. Bonefish Blues

I read Ladbrokes Coral have today said 900 shops over 2 years. Downside originally estimated at £145m pa actually £120m pa, based on player behaviour & returns. Total job losses incl Wm Hill will be c10K.

4. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Except that the bit they got wrong - the demand - is difficult to model unless you are sitting in the head office of a betting company. Nobody outside the industry has the knowledge and expertise to predict accurately, and nobody inside is going to reveal quite how political the prediction was.

5. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Which implies each shop employs 6 or more people. These are shops usually staffed by one person at a time.

We were talking about public statements made for political reasons....

6. Bonefish Blues

Cough, part time, cough. Come one, in your desperation to find a stick to beat the bookies with, you are overlooking the obvious.

Public statements are statutory declarations as plcs.

7. randynewmanscat

randynewmanscat Über Member

Yes I think it acceptable. The collateral damage of lost jobs is worth it if those milking parlours are made unattractive to punters and owners alike. One thing always stuck out for me when travelling in the UK, the amount of betting shops in poorer areas. I lived in an affluent area and there was one Coral owned shop and one William Hill. 25 miles north of me a town with no less than 11 betting shops for a population of 110,000, on one street there was/is 4 such shops.
    I have read columnists saying that controls on gambling is "nanny state" interference in responsible adults lives, last time I checked compulsive gambling was seen and treated as a mental illness.

8. randynewmanscat

The "owner" is inside the shop smoking a large spliff with his pals and there was 3 bikes outside, one a BMX no less! I am not joking, I saw it from the window of a mates print shop. The shop was four doors from a weatherspoons and there was continual traffic between the two places.
    I assume the manager cringed but turned a blind eye because he needs his numbers for the week.

9. randynewmanscat

You are old like me, the smell now is of strong weed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice