wind & rain - at what point do you leave your bike at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

What wind speed (if any), convinces you that perhaps you shouldn't cycle (especially coupled with heavy rain)? I guess it depends on direction - tail wind would certainly be a bonus, but side and head wind can be pretty dangerous if strong enough. I really try to cycle in all weather, but sometimes wonder whether going out in torential rain and 35mph winds is just a bit silly.

Do any of you have a limit?

Saying this as tomorrows wind is forcast to get up to 36mph + rain.

the snail

Guru
I got caught in 'hurricanes' in the eighties/nineties, 70mph+ wind which was terrifying. Flying debris is a major hazzard, I saw a sheet of corrugated steel blow over the top of a house. Both times I got caught out in it, weather was ok when I rode to work, but no way could I ride home, so I'd suggest you have a plan b if you do ride in. I don't know what my cut-off point would be, but 36mph has to be close to it!

OP
OP
J

joanna

70mph+wind!!! wow.

I remember a few years back there was a majorly strong gale in Brighton - so strong that you feel that you can't actually hold yourself up against it - and remember seeing a few cyclists struggling against it. That would definitely be my cut off point!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Wind is a real "mind changer" for me I have to admit. Rain and cold I'm pretty okay with and dark is not an issue. (summer rain is actually really lovely).

But I cant say I ever note the actual wind speed that I cave in at, I just look at the trees and if they are bending too much...I take the motorcycle.

al78

Guru
I guess when it reached gale force (around 35-40+ sustained).

The roads on my commute are tree lined and I can remember after windstorm Kyrill went through a few years back there were a lot of branches (some of them pretty large) strewn across the roads. Don't fancy stuff like that coming down on top of me.

I did notice today something that no-one told me about 'bent trikes.

You might not get so much resistance into a headwind but when dust and leaves are swirling around a foot from the floor.....

New goggles were purchased today!

OP
OP
J

joanna

Just checked met office - wind speed is 29mph, gust is 48mph which would be ok on the outward journey as in my favour, but coming home 45mph gusts are expected - think I'll train it in today!

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
What wind speed (if any), convinces you that perhaps you shouldn't cycle (especially coupled with heavy rain)? I guess it depends on direction - tail wind would certainly be a bonus, but side and head wind can be pretty dangerous if strong enough. I really try to cycle in all weather, but sometimes wonder whether going out in torential rain and 35mph winds is just a bit silly.

Do any of you have a limit?

Saying this as tomorrows wind is forcast to get up to 36mph + rain.

The same limit as walking, I gave up the car two years ago

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Well normally when I think i have a head wind and look for confirmation in the tress and bushes, they are barely moving which makes me feel a wuss, but they were bending and moving today. Hopefullly it keeps up so I can have a nice tailwind tonight! Normal average around 16.3 down to 14.4mph!

BSRU

A Human Being
I have only missed one day due to wind, it was 30mph with 60mph gusts, enough to make walking difficult.
Very gusty wind is the worst as it can catch you unexpectedly, especially nasty when it is a cross wind.

Top Bottom