Wind & rain , rain & wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When will it stop. Never realised that wind can cause such a resistance. Can handle the rain but not when they are both at it.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
The wind is the evilz :evil:

albion

Guru
It was gusting at 65 mph while out on xmas errands the last few nights.

No long distances so it was quite exciting. Its wind with cold rain that I can't bear.

It was gusting 55mph on Christmas and Boxing (St Stephen's) Day but at least it was dry but Wednesday was 70-80mph and rain; even if it had been dry, I wasn't going out. Thursday and Friday have been a bit less blowy but wetter but I've not been in cycling shape anyway :cheers: :whistle: Fingers crossed its supposed to be a bit less blowy and drier tomorrow and I'll get a few more miles before :cheers:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I really cannot remember a wetter year than 2011 (in the west of Scotland anyway); and we have had a lot of wet years! It does grind you down eventually when you get constant wet/windy days, then you look at the forecast and there is no sign of any let-up any time soon. My 2 main hobbies are motorbikes and cycling; I think I need to emigrate!

Yet more wind and rain for the next 5 days..........
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/st/st_forecast_weather.html

Hahaha!! You guys should try the "fenland hill".
It always blows, day in day out.

It's amazing how the wind drops once i get into sandringham/downham market areas which have "slight" hills, but once back on the
fenland plains its always present!
I've done 85 rides recorded on my garmin device this year, and have always logged
the windspeed from my weather station against each garmin connect entry ... lowest
was in september at 6mph.

Somewhere on the web i saw a guide of head windspeed vs equivalent gradient ... if i remember correctly 10mph
head wind equals 1in40 foot gradient?
So 60mph is probably a hardknott pass equivalent?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I can't remember the last day without a significant wind. I know living next to the coast doesn't help, but this December has been extremely windy (I'll be able to say how much higher than normal when I get the weather record next week)

This is not the wettest year (in west Cumbria at least). There was a long dry spring hrer, but we have definitely finished with a lot of water.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Went out on Boxing day night and challenged myself to extra hills in a strong head wind

what an idiot :wacko:

Orange

Got a right good soaking coming back from work today. Discovered brakes hardly work at all on the many downhills immediately followed by 90 degree right or left handers.

Top Bottom