Wind Speed Warning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I caved earlier this week to the power of the wind. I didn't wear a cap for two days of commuting.

You reckless fool....won't anyone think of the children.

pjd57

Veteran
Does weight really matter here ?

Will a gust of wind knock me and my 10 stones off , but leave a bigger rider on ?
More surface area on the " larger " rider.

classic33

Leg End Member
Does weight really matter here ?

Will a gust of wind knock me and my 10 stones off , but leave a bigger rider on ?
More surface area on the " larger " rider.
May not knock you off, but might cause you to move sideways.

MountainSide

I remember watching coverage of a hurricane on an American well known tv news channel. Apparently it was blowing 100+ mph and the reporters were just about managing to hang on to a building for dear life. Just then 3 cyclists came into shot and proceeded to ride down the road with no trouble at all. So either cycling in all strengths of winds is fine or fake news exists ^_^ Seriously though for me it depends on the route as I know some roads are more exposed than others.

I remember watching coverage of a hurricane on an American well known tv news channel. Apparently it was blowing 100+ mph and the reporters were just about managing to hang on to a building for dear life. Just then 3 cyclists came into shot and proceeded to ride down the road with no trouble at all. So either cycling in all strengths of winds is fine or fake news exists ^_^ Seriously though for me it depends on the route as I know some roads are more exposed than others.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAGrLFAAeQ

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I can only think of one ride that I've actually binned off due to a totally unpredictable gusting wind that threatened to unseat me several times and on at least three occasions blew me right into the other lane across the white lines. That was just too dangerous.
Unfortunately that meant cycling directly into it for the best part of a mile - at one point I was struggling to maintain 5mph. :rolleyes:

I am tempted to try ride to York next time we get a really strong wind from the west, something 30mph plus, just to see how quickly I can do it. Then get the train back. ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So there you have it - don't cycle if winds are over 20mph or it's OK with winds of 120mph. An interesting thread but perhaps not very helpful for those looking for some clear guidance!
I'm guessing anyone blown off a bridge or under a truck isn't posting the windspeed!

IMO, too much over 30mph ceases to be fun and over 50mph, I would really rather not... but these days it seems like there's usually a Do Not Travel advisory about then.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The organisers of the ride I was due to do between Oxford and Cambridge decided to cancel it because of the wind forecast ☹️. Managed Bristol to Oxford today though in the rain.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've had to pedal downhill, on a stretch of road where 40mph freewheeling was easily possible.
Speed achieved was a little over 3mph, pedalling!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Having dropped around 3.5 stone in weight over the last 11 years i'd say it's harder being a lightweight to cycle in a strong wind. Not only cycle but walk as well. Once i could cut through the wind without much problem,but now it hits me and holds me back,even pushing me back,which goes to prove correct the old saying of 'he could be blown over in a strong wind,he's so scrawny'or something like that. A light cyclist and a light bike are susceptible to strong winds,especially side winds. The ones where you're sheltered from the wind by buildings then you suddenly become exposed t them are the worst for me. If i know the road and its layout i'll be prepared and get ready to lean sightly into the force as i approach it. If i don't know the road then being hit by a strong wind from the side is as scary to me as a car turning to its right cutting across my path or nearly being t-boned.

Top Bottom