"Wind turbines had to be switched off...."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
In this morning's BBC news.

WTF? And there was I thinking the wind drove the turbines! Now I realise it's the turbines that make all that wind and I'm going to ask the owners to get them pointing in the right direction next time I go for a bike ride.

Amusing story :biggrin:. Pity it's not true :huh:. Wind turbines were switched off because they were producing too much power and would have overloaded the Scottish national grid.

See here.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
This wasn't Scottish wind turbines. The BBC report said: "Wind turbines on Ogden Moor were switched off to avoid fanning heath fires."

Clearly we have better wind turbines than the Scots.

asterix

Comrade Member
Funnily enough the first thing I thought when I saw the pics of the turbines was that they must be making things worse! Then my brain woke up and I realised that of course they in fact blow the fires out.

So - the turbine company is in big trouble - or, in other words, the sh!t has well and truly hit the ......... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Loads of problems with turbines so few fans round here...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm a huge fan of wind turbines but that story summed up EVERYTHING that is wrong with BBC Journalism these days. My how we larfed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
They should have left the turbines to generate electricity. By doing so, they would be extracting energy from the wind and thereby reducing the windspeed.

I think...

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Slightly on topic..

Has anyone noticed how many people are flicking lit fags out their cars thesedays? Riding along yesterday and saw about 3 people flick them. One by a park, and you can well imagine that will roll over in the wind on to some dry grass.

The BBC just talked about the mess caused by the fires just this minute. The header said "Recent hot spell blamed for the fires" Er no, surely not? Surely they dont just spark up on their own? :huh:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It's the solar focusing power of the transparent convex wing casings on beetles that starts moorland fires... fanned by predatory locusts.

soulful dog

Veteran
They should have left the turbines to generate electricity. By doing so, they would be extracting energy from the wind and thereby reducing the windspeed.
I think...
...... makes perfect sense to me :thumbsup:

Slightly on topic..

Has anyone noticed how many people are flicking lit fags out their cars thesedays? Riding along yesterday and saw about 3 people flick them. One by a park, and you can well imagine that will roll over in the wind on to some dry grass.

The BBC just talked about the mess caused by the fires just this minute. The header said "Recent hot spell blamed for the fires" Er no, surely not? Surely they dont just spark up on their own? :huh:

There has been talk about how these fires may well have been started by people being careless, anything from camping fires and leaving glass lying to farmers burning heather/moorland.

Top Bottom