Wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jann71

Veteran
Do you all cycle in all weather or do you ever look at the forecast and think too windy?

Started commuting by bike most days. It was only 15mph of a headwind this morning but felt worse.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Do you all cycle in all weather or do you ever look at the forecast and think too windy?

Start commuting by bike most days. It was only 15mph of a headwind this morning but felt worse.
I detest the wind. The bulk of my routes involve returning home into the normal prevailing head wind here. Would actually rather cycle in rain than wind. Really gusty today so won't be venturing out.

AyJay

Über Member
My cycling is all leisure these days. I always try to set of into the wind so as to return with a back wind. Not easy living on the coast to do though. Easterly winds cause a problem on the East Coast!!

Slick

Guru
I commute all year and love the challenges the weather brings but wind does make me think twice sometimes. It is hard work but I have a couple of options route wise that can avoid the worst of it. I find a cross wind gust to be quite dangerous especially when in such close contact to zombies on their morning commute still eating breakfast. Everyone has their personal favourite but I like this mob for the wind direction and speed.

https://www.xcweather.co.uk

NickWi

Guru
Might be pointing out the blooming obvious here, but isn't part of the benift of having an electric bike supposed be that you can level the playing field when it comes to a headwind?

AyJay

Über Member
My cycling is all leisure these days. I always try to set of into the wind so as to return with a back wind. Not easy living on the coast to do though. Easterly winds cause a problem on the East Coast!!

:whistle: Just noticed this is in the "Electric Bike" section. OOPS!!!! :blush:

Slick

Guru
Doesn't make you immune from the effect of wind.

NickWi

Guru
I did wonder. I did an Audax on my Ebike earlier and the last 5miles or so were into a bugger of a headwind and on a really exposed bit of country side. Having loads of battery left I thought sod it and put the bike into full power, but even then it was a head down unpleasant experience. Eventually I came to a crossroads, looked behind to check the traffic only to see three other audaxers had been sitting in my slipstream taking advantage of my tow!

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom