Wing Mirrors or Trophies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mknash

So, I was wondering what everyone else thinks of the act of side swiping wing mirrors before they get you?

Specifically I drive past a school every morning and have twice been knocked down, once clipped by a front wing and several times clipped by wing mirrors as they pull out.

I have written 3 times to the school and the council and evn the police (station is opposite the school) to mention the illegal parking and dangerous driving, only to be ignored.

so about a month ago i started "collecting" wing mirrors (they do come off really easily when passing at around 15-20 on a bike) and have noticed the past week not a single illegally parked car on my morning hop.

I know this is technically criminal damage (despite the first being accidental as he hit my handlebars) but feel that for the cost of a few 50 quid mirrors I have made the road safer.

So, am I deluding myself into believeing that I have a reason for this vandalism? am I doing a good thing in making drivers way of illegally blocking schools and cycle lanes? or am i just an arse (or even all of the above)?

Anyone else "taken the law into their own hands" this way?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mirrors aren't £50 - more like £250 plus.

Be careful.

Keith Oates

Janner
Taking the law into your own hands is not correct and does make you on the wrong side of the law. We all appreciate your frustration but IMO your actions will, in the long term, agitate the problem in your area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

upandover

Guru
A large part of me likes the idea though. I have a short hammer at home, and sometimes I dream about carrying it in my back pocket to smack the roofs of cars who wrong me!

OP
OP
mknash

mknash

Nothing "technical" about it. It's criminal damage. I hope you get prosecuted if caught.

The reason for the "technically" is that I doubt anyone of them would have a leg to stand on if they made a complaint of damage as their car was illegally parked, whilst not indicating and taking up half a traffic lane. As said, the first time was an accident, I put my hand out to for support as the car turned into me.

Not excusing myself, just explaining my choice of language

Jake

:biggrin:

Tharg2007

Veteran
mknash said:
:ohmy: spot the non-car owner :biggrin:

mknash said:
Specifically I drive past a school every morning

on the rest of the post I think you are treading on thin ground there, If I had parked somewhere I shouldn't of and saw you smashing my mirror off I'd smash your face in.
I think you should try a different approach, like informing traffic wardens of the illegal parking, or taking photos and maybe video, sending it to the authorities and then when they ignore you to go to your MP and the press.

oh, and being driven into is a different story, the car is fair game then :ohmy: :biggrin:

Crankarm

Guru
mknash said:
The reason for the "technically" is that I doubt anyone of them would have a leg to stand on if they made a complaint of damage as their car was illegally parked, whilst not indicating and taking up half a traffic lane. As said, the first time was an accident, I put my hand out to for support as the car turned into me.

Not excusing myself, just explaining my choice of language

It is criminal damage period. Just because a vehicle is illegally parked does not mean that any damage done to it by a vigilante is then legitimate.

If you've posted this to try to drum up endorsement for your ill judged crusade you might be rather disappointed.

Olly

A. its really expensive.
B. Unless you KNow its someone who has hit you its a complete ar**hole thing to do.
C. drivers NEED wing mirrors to see cyclists!!!!!
try thinking!!!

Crankarm

Guru
You should ride with greater care if you regularly ride this route especially as it is past a school or find an alternative route. What sort of image does it give school children if an angry cyclist is belting wing mirrors. You would no doubt look a bit of an idiot as typically there will be lots of witlesses around some of whom will have no axe to grind and perhaps others on bicycles who would not support you. This seems to be yet another bad image for cycling that we can do without.

adds21

Rider of bikes
mknash said:
The reason for the "technically" is that I doubt anyone of them would have a leg to stand on if they made a complaint of damage as their car was illegally parked, whilst not indicating and taking up half a traffic lane.

Yes, I do see your point, and feel your frustration to a certain degree, but just because they don't have a legal leg to stand on doesn't make it right (or even morally right). Where do you draw the line? There are lots and lots of situations in life like that. If we all acted in the way you suggested, we'd be living in a state of perpertual anarchy.

Olly

Crankarm said:
This seems to be yet another bad image for cycling that we can do without.

I totally agree.
I cant believe how much this post has wound me up!!!:ohmy::biggrin:!:ohmy::angry:

All this does is make a already "slightly" inconsiderate driver...

1. Really pis*ed off at ALL cyclists.
2. Pis*ed off at ALL cyclists, with no wing mirror!!!!!

AND another way of looking at this is...

even though they are parked badly.
I always try and give cars outside schools a very wide berth and am extra vigilent becouse of kiddies running into the road.

ever thought of that????

rant done!
:biggrin:

Top Bottom