Winning is the only thing that matters in Professional Sport - discuss.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
these two women have been disqualified from an olympic test event for holding hands and crossing the line together.

It could cost them a place on the British Olympic team, as the woman who came 5th was also british and was promoted to 3rd place.

The rules seem clear but is winning now all that matters?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/49355267

Slick

Veteran
I think winning has always been all that mattered in most sports but this decision takes the nip.

Dave7

Guru
What am I missing?? The rule (as I read it) says an athlete must not assist another athlete at any stage in a race. How is holding hands 'assisting'?

classic33

Legendary Member
What am I missing?? The rule (as I read it) says an athlete must not assist another athlete at any stage in a race. How is holding hands 'assisting'?
Contrived finish.
"athletes who finish in a contrived tie situation, where no effort to separate their finish times has been made, will be disqualified".

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Shows a lack of ambition that they didn't race each other to the finish. It's not a parkrun is it.
Having said that, they should still be selected.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I misread the title and thought the thread was referring to discus.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes the Brownlees did it and the rule was not in place then. After the Brownlees incident the new rule was implemented. It is not a rule about assisting. It is a rule about competing right to the end. Its clear that these ladies didnt do that. Yes. In these circumstances it a crap rule.

This does not stop the selectors from selecting them and hopefully they will.

Top Bottom