Wisp by Raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
This was advertised as a freebie in Gumtree.

In good but unloved condition, probably outside and unused for some time.

I'll strip it down, clean it up and see if a free bike can't get someone into cycling.

Photo-0001.jpg Photo-0004.jpg Photo-0002.jpg

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Worth a bash!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Early 80s, gas-pipe steel frame, chrome wheels? Pretty, otherwise nothing special but perfectly serviceable. I like the old Mixte style frames.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I really, really wanted a Wisp when I was about 14 - good luck with it. The suicide levers make me cringe though, my friend let me ride their precious new Wisp and I rode it straight into the side of a car due to lack of braking power :blush:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I hate the term 'gas pipe'. Its a term used by 'elitist' on another forum to degrade perfectly good low-mid range cycles.
too true

Fab Foodie

I hate the term 'gas pipe'. Its a term used by 'elitist' on another forum to degrade perfectly good low-mid range cycles.
Au contraire, it's a simple phrase to describe all sorts of basic steel frames often labelled to try to make them seem more than they are, Hi-Ten yada yadda. It doesn't imply there's anything wrong with them.

Spokesmann

Au contraire, it's a simple phrase to describe all sorts of basic steel frames often labelled to try to make them seem more than they are, Hi-Ten yada yadda. It doesn't imply there's anything wrong with them.

We'll just have to differ on this one then. But I have come across many nit-picking bores who have nothing better to do than 'look down' on lesser machines simply because they are not either Italian and/or crafted from some exquisite 531 tubing or similar...

Honest to goodness old bikes like this are well worth preserving and for the most part would be forgotten about and consigned to history. I for one I find zero appeal of any Italian stuff, Colnago et al leave me cold. They simply do not appeal to me, however thats what makes the pastime more interesting as we all had differing tastes. I remember a while ago a particular individual, obviously of great cycling knowledge and pedigree but with head firmly up arse laying into one of my 1970s Carlton with snide and greasy pleasure saying he could no conceive how such a low end machine should win a particular forums 'Bike of the month' competition and then went to bore everyone with his thesis on the subject of gas pipe...

Suffice to say I have come across this term much since then, normally when someone wants to 'land a hit' and noise up a fellow cyclist!

Anyway this is getting a bit off topic, I look forward to see how this build develops!

(BTW - Im not implying you are a nit-picking bore, I have a very definite person in mind when I use the term!)

Fab Foodie

We'll just have to differ on this one then. But I have come across many nit-picking bores who have nothing better to do than 'look down' on lesser machines simply because they are not either Italian and/or crafted from some exquisite 531 tubing or similar...

(BTW - Im implying you are a nit-picking bore, I have a very definite person in mind when I use the term!)

Consensual disagreement is fine by me.
I'm no bike snob, I have gas-pipe bikes too alongside plain old aluminium and a few antique 531 machines as well in the garage and they're all equally used and abused. I never said there was anything wrong with gas-pipe bikes and there isn't anything wrong with them, was just informing the OP that the frame is of basic material build. The Wisp was a bottom-end/entry level bike, so nothing special, I know this because Mrs FF almost bought one in the early 80s and went in the end for a basic Dawes instead (still gp tubed) and we still have it and use it 30 years on.
I'll be surprised if I'm a nit-picking bore, but if you think the cap fits I'll wear it ...

Spokesmann

Consensual disagreement is fine by me.
I'm no bike snob, I have gas-pipe bikes too alongside plain old aluminium and a few antique 531 machines as well in the garage and they're all equally used and abused. I never said there was anything wrong with gas-pipe bikes and there isn't anything wrong with them, was just informing the OP that the frame is of basic material build. The Wisp was a bottom-end/entry level bike, so nothing special, I know this because Mrs FF almost bought one in the early 80s and went in the end for a basic Dawes instead (still gp tubed) and we still have it and use it 30 years on.
I'll be surprised if I'm a nit-picking bore, but if you think the cap fits I'll wear it ...

Not at all! As I said I have a particular person in mind! Only since joining a few forums over the last couple of years have I come across the term. Just me in that I don't like it! I must say though when comparing the quality of my 531 Flyer with say a Raleigh built Carlton of the mid-late 1970s the latter does look a lot less refined! None the less still a good useable and safe frame!

Top Bottom