Wondering if anyone goes past the southern entrance of Blackwall tunnel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GreenwichSi

Regular
Hey all. First post and all that.

Just taken advantage of the cycle to work scheme and intend to bike in from Woolwich to Covent Garden a few times a week. The route doesn't look all that bad bar going past the southern entrance to Blackwall tunnel. I know there's been some work with cycle lanes being put down and I'm doing a trial run early on Sunday but I was wondering if anyone goes through there regularly and can tell me if it's a) less hellish than it used to be and b) if not, any alternative route suggestions?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hey all. First post and all that.

Just taken advantage of the cycle to work scheme and intend to bike in from Woolwich to Covent Garden a few times a week. The route doesn't look all that bad bar going past the southern entrance to Blackwall tunnel. I know there's been some work with cycle lanes being put down and I'm doing a trial run early on Sunday but I was wondering if anyone goes through there regularly and can tell me if it's a) less hellish than it used to be and b) if not, any alternative route suggestions?
The worst part of that journey was where the Woolwich road goes under the Blackwall tunnel approach road. I've only ridden it West to east recently but the bike route is now in the centre of the road. It's a bit fiddly but it's easier that it used to be. I think the segregated cycle way reaches to the road that runs down past the Valley from Charlton.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It won't be as bad as it looks and confidence is everything. You have as much right to be on the road as anyone else.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Ah, come to think of it I have ridden that way recently. I do remember that going under the tunnel approach road was a bit confusing. Not difficult or dangerous really. Just difficult to figure out. But I'm sure it's easy once you've done it a couple of times.

Picture taken in Feb, looking East along Woolwich Rd, towards the Blackwall Tunnel approach. Cycle path by Bodgers R Us.
View attachment 592137
There have been a couple of cycling fatalities on the west bound road so it does have its dangers.

Brooks

The Greenwich peninsula has lots of cycle paths, if your coming via the Thames path there's cycle paths that cross Bugbys way leading to a cycle bridge crossing the Blackwell tunnel approach.
You can wiggle through the back doubles or just head for the new C4 cycle path.
From Greenwich pick up Quietway 1(now rebranded C10) straight to Covent Garden.

OP
OP
GreenwichSi

GreenwichSi

Regular
The Greenwich peninsula has lots of cycle paths, if your coming via the Thames path there's cycle paths that cross Bugbys way leading to a cycle bridge crossing the Blackwell tunnel approach.
You can wiggle through the back doubles or just head for the new C4 cycle path.
From Greenwich pick up Quietway 1(now rebranded C10) straight to Covent Garden.

That's useful to know, google maps isn't reflecting the changes at the moment but as soon as my bike shows up (see my rant elsewhere) I'll have an exploratory wander.

Brooks

If you don't mind a tip try cycle streets app, it shows all the cycle paths and recommended quiet routes. It's showing the new C4 route has now reached Charlton church lane. I've been on it as far as the Angerstein roundabout and it's a very good improvement indeed.

Top Bottom