Work in Progress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TopCat

Since last August, after a trip to Skye to try out a mates camping trailer, Iv'e been bitten by the camping bug!
I bought a new bike and thought about building a trailer for it. Iv'e made a few trailers over the past few months but they have mostly been abandoned due to use of poor materials - Wood / Angle Iron - wheels splayed out when any weight was put on trailer.

I have started work on a new prodject/trailer made with more sturdier materials - 40 X 40mm box tubing.

Here's how it looks so far...

newtrailer1.jpg

newtrailer2.jpg

newtrailer3.jpg

This is the Universal Joint im using as a hitch until I get something better.

newtrailer4.jpg

Size:
L
enght 2200 X 0.95 - to outside of wheels. Wheels are 22in wheelchair wheels with solid tyres (to be replaced with tyres n tubes - to much rattle with solids) and drum brakes.
Loadbed 2m X 0.80

I dont knowthe law on what you'd get away with on the UK roads? Anyone know?

The plan is to make a trailer/tent type stucture. A box will be built on the frame, with a removable lid. once the lid is removed 4 poles will be inserted in the corners then the lid will be replaced on poles - hightening the trailer.
Once the lid is on a rolled up tarp/old tent, some sort of fabric! will be unfurled from inside the lid down the out sides of the box and pegged to the ground. One side of the tarp/tent will extend out further - bike can be housed there while I cook/sleep in the box.

Yes I know im mad, my medication hasn't kicked in yet ;)

TC

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Not a bad idea if its light enough?
Although, you could just use a normal tent?;)
You can buy these cant you? My parents came back from some caravaning and camping show at the NEC all excited, telling me you can buy a 'trailor tent for bikes'
Not sure what advantage it would give you, get you off the ground and onto something firmer a suppose?

OP
OP
TopCat

TopCat

Joe24 said:
You can buy these cant you? My parents came back from some caravaning and camping show at the NEC all excited, telling me you can buy a 'trailor tent for bikes'

Yeah I seen these trailer/tent type things, my idea was based on this picture...

bike_trailer.jpg

Here are a few iv'e seen...

folded.jpg

http://www.tonystrailers.com/mobileshelter/

bicycle_trailer.jpg

http://www.24oranges.nl/2008/07/21/bike-your-house-around/

Joe24 said:
Not a bad idea if its light enough?
Although, you could just use a normal tent?:biggrin:

Not sure what advantage it would give you, get you off the ground and onto something firmer a suppose?

I get that very answer all the time - Take a Tent. Well I thought on that but i'd be taking a trailer anyway with all my other stuff in it, so why not use the trailer AS a tent. and yes one advantage would be better shelter and off the ground.

I'll have to wait see what the lot weighs once finished but at the moment I still have two more cross beams to weld on. I think I may have to drill largeish holes in the metal to try and keep the weight down.
I'd have made it in light aluminium but sadly my mate can't weld ally and he's free :laugh:

Tom C

PS.. This would be the ideal kind of thing...

myrig3im5.jpg

reardooropenwithairbedez4.jpg

Its a bike jim but not as we know it :smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Just a thought about your hitch.
If you loaded up your trailer would it press down on the frame behind your back wheel making your front wheel light?

It would be interesting to see how much it weighs in the end.

TopCat said:
That looks like a coffin!:biggrin:

OP
OP
TopCat

TopCat

Night Train said:
Just a thought about your hitch.
If you loaded up your trailer would it press down on the frame behind your back wheel making your front wheel light?

It would be interesting to see how much it weighs in the end.

Im not a fan of those side of the wheel type hitches nor the seatpost type. My thoughts on towing were that of a car & caravan - never seen a caravan towed with an attchment on the back wheel or a pole through the back window attached to the seat?

I dare say if I loaded up my trailer with the load up front my front wheel would be light, same as a front loaded caravan towed by a rear enigne car uphill?
where as if the load is spread across the axle I dont think it would be a problem.

Weight could well be the downfall of this project!

Tom C

peanut

the collapseable bike trailer you are basing your design on in the picture is a box. A box structure has enormous integral strength and bracing. You are going about your design in completly the wrong way.
Take a ruler to represent your long trailer spar and suspend it between two books.
Place your finger in the middle and see how easy it is to bend it.

Now turn the ruler on its edge suspended between two books and see if you can get the ruler to bend at all with all your strength..

see the principle ? its the same as roof and floor joists. You need to construct your main spar with a deep section but out of thin light material so it will be strong yet light and resist bending.

Look at using 8-10mm box section aluminium to form either a box chassis or a chassis like race cars
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle-cargo-trailer--200-lb-capacity,-$30-for-pa/

OP
OP
TopCat

TopCat

peanut said:
the collapseable bike trailer you are basing your design on in the picture is a box. A box structure has enormous integral strength and bracing. You are going about your design in completly the wrong way.
Take a ruler to represent your long trailer spar and suspend it between two books.
Place your finger in the middle and see how easy it is to bend it.

Now turn the ruler on its edge suspended between two books and see if you can get the ruler to bend at all with all your strength..

see the principle ? its the same as roof and floor joists. You need to construct your main spar with a deep section but out of thin light material so it will be strong yet light and resist bending.

Look at using 8-10mm box section aluminium to form either a box chassis or a chassis like the Lotus cars

Look at the pictures of my trailer especially the rear box section - On Edge - like your ruler. I did say I still have 2 more sections to add - (One at the front and one near the black tape thats holding up the brake cables at the moment).
I also said - I'd have made it in light aluminium but sadly my mate can't weld ally and he's free.

Once finished it will look something like this....

layright1.jpg

Tom C

PS.... Seen ALL the instructables trailers plus a million others on the net over the past few months, they'll be VERY few trailers out there that I haven't looked at, then again every other day there's a new one pops up.

Looking at the materials you have chosen, my guess would be the weight may still become an issue. Have you considered Aluminium?

There are plenty of suppliers of aluminium frame components (usually called speed frame) where you buy the lengths of aluminium profile plus screws etc and then simply cut to length and screw together. They usually have the corner profiles and bearing kits for wheels etc. worth a look.

Try 'item mbs' or 'Bosch' or even the RS components catalogue.

loopybike

Veteran
You can also get connecting bungs for aluminum box section, saves welding. Pop rivit the panels onto the box section after it's connected and you have a strong, light structure without welding.

Top Bottom