Worst gig you ever went to........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ablolutely no question, and in a league of shiteness all of their own - Orchestral Manouvers in the Dark, at the Odeon, Brum. I really wanted to see them as I loved their studio work, but was completely and utterly embarrassed to be there. I just wanted to shoot them, so I could go home!! ;)

yello

I remember seeing them at the De Monfort Hall in Leicester, around 1983... cringingly crap, the audience laughed at one point

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
My sister went to see Dylan. She said that he played the entire gig with his back to the audience and never addressed them once. I'da been tempted to bounce a glass of the back of his head ;)

Wolf04

Lou Reed @ The Sage Gateshead, he was going through the motions. He didn't play Sweet Jane. I left when he brought his Ti Chi (sp?) teacher on to the stage to dance to the music.
;)

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Wolf04 said:
I left when he brought his Ti Chi (sp?) teacher on to the stage to dance to the music.
;)

Hahaha. Reminds me of Howard Jones, and that pillock of his prancing round almost naked, wearing chains, on Top of the Pops......

Wolf04

BilboSmeggins said:
My sister went to see Dylan. She said that he played the entire gig with his back to the audience and never addressed them once. I'da been tempted to bounce a glass of the back of his head ;)

I've seen Dylan a few times, usually excellent. Worst time was at Newcastle Arena where he was on with Van Morrison. Mostly the venue at fault. Seats facing 90 degrees to stage, too many seats so your knees were in your face. Sound so poor you could hear people talking during the songs. Oh and people talking through songs!

Randochap

Senior hunter
Hardly ever been disappointed, but a very ill-matched concert was the Guess Who w/ Mothers of Invention headlining. Everyone had come to see Zappa, so didn't want to sit through GW brand of mainstream pop.

Fed up with the cries of "We want the Mothers!" and more pungent insults, Burton Cummings spat into the audience. Finally they walked off stage as it was inmossible to hear anything over the cat calls and booing.

Finally, the Mothers filed on stage, followed by Zappa, pulling a large gunny sack, from which he produced a variety of vegetables. These he examined with a stethascope, one by one -- rutabagas, potatoes, carrots.

The crowd started up again, booing, shouting for "Louie, Louie" (as only the Mothers could play it!) and other standards and throwing projectiles onto the stage.

Finally -- taking off the gas mask he'd donned -- Frank walks up to the microphone and says: "Kinda brings out the animal in ya, don't it?"

Actually, this was a memorable concert, so maybe I've never been to a really bad concert. Was there a best concert thread. Plenty of those to report -- not just one.

Tin Machine at Braford St Georges Hall. I was only a young kid and I've no idea to this day why my parents took us on a family trip. None of us had ever heard any of their songs and we never had any money to do anything normally so why my parents took us to see these guys is anyone's guess. I wasn't even a Bowie fan. They were sh!te, but not as bad as the support act. A couple of years ago I asked my dad why we went to see them and he didn't remember ;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
Meatloaf. Went because my wife told a friend that I liked them, and he bought me a ticket. Shite. Really, really, really, shite.

Oh, and The Icicle Works. Utter shite.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Wolf04 said:
Lou Reed @ The Sage Gateshead, he was going through the motions. He didn't play Sweet Jane. I left when he brought his Ti Chi (sp?) teacher on to the stage to dance to the music.
:smile:

I know several people who went to that who thought it was brilliant...

I try not to go to bad gigs. You can pretty much tell in advance... however, I did see some appalling gigs by friends of friends back when I lived in Oxford in the mid-90s.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Black Sabbath, Newcastle, mid 70s. Utter shite. I tried to leave, the bouncers wouldn't let me.

Chuck Berry and daughter, Newcastle, mid 70s. Dire - 35 minute set, Chuck berry performed for only around 20 minutes of the set and no encore.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Herbie Hancock, went along expecting all the great music he's played over the decades and he just bashed away ay random on the keyboard all made worse by the dreadful percussion which consisted of hitting bin lids and the like. It's probably called avant-garde or something but to my untrained ears it was just the most appalling tosh!

johnnyh

Veteran
Would have to be Fudge Tunnel - they were a support act to Anthrax on the Among the Living tour. Anthrax were awsome, Fudge Tunnel a disaster in every sense. I heckled and the idiot singer decided getting into an argument with me was the way to deal with it!!! Comedy :smile: how amateur can you get.

Top Bottom