worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
hey guys

i am wondering if it is worth the money to upgrade the stem and handlebars of my specilized allez sport to carbon fibre? or is there a better way to save on weight, such as upgrading components? all views much appreciated

andy

Landslide

Rare Migrant
You'll notice the most benefit by upgrading your tyres followed by your rims/wheels as they constitute rotating mass which is harder to accelerate.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Friggin hell Andy, between you and your (very nice) bike.. you must weigh oooh at least 10kgs combined ;)

ilovebikes said:
hey guys

i am wondering if it is worth the money to upgrade the stem and handlebars of my specilized allez sport to carbon fibre? or is there a better way to save on weight, such as upgrading components? all views much appreciated

andy

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
ianrauk said:
Friggin hell Andy, between you and your (very nice) bike.. you must weigh oooh at least 10kgs combined ;)

That's what I thought, he has hardly got my streamlining and he is worried about saving weight on his stem :becool:

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
i know i could upgrade my wheels, but then if i'm doing 2000 miles of touring on them i'm not sure if i could keep the strength and relatively durable nature of the current ones as well as losing the weight...

and then the new wheels quite often have those 'bladed' spokes which could be problematic if they need replacing whilst on said tour.

gavintc

Guru
As a challenge look at the weights of carbon bars and stem and compare the weight with reasonable quality alu - there is very little difference.

Top Bottom