Wot izzit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I was down by South Parade Pier in Portsmouth on Sunday afternoon. It was a particularly low tide, and to the left-hand side of the pier, there is a line of large rectangular concrete blocks at regular intervals that goes out for about 200m.

So, to anyone who knows about these things ... wot izzit? I stood and looked at them for a few minutes and couldn't figure it out.

Renard

A railway?

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Here. 'Blocks' And no, it's not Anish Kapoor or Anthony Gormley creativity...

Ah! Thanks! I knew it was something out of the ordinary. I'm rather pleased that the explanation is so exotic! I have it in mind to swim out to the end of them (and back, obviously!) when the weather gets warmer. One could "island hop" between them on turning tide and a calm day.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Be very careful swimming around the blocks, especially when the tide is going out.

The ones at Scarborough can create a fairly nasty rip tide which can make swimming "interesting" to say the least.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've never understood why anglers go to all that trouble when just inshore you can get it ready filletted, battered and fried with chipped potatoes thrown in.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've never understood why anglers go to all that trouble when just inshore you can get it ready filletted, battered and fried with chipped potatoes thrown in.

No doubt for the same reason that you and I might go out and cycle for 50 miles or more, only to end up right back where we started....

ASC1951

Guru
I've never understood why anglers go to all that trouble...
I'm with you there, Globalti. "Red mullet are on the increase along Southsea seafront with a 1lb 13oz 8dr fish taken recently from nearby South Parade Pier" - why would you want to know your catch to the nearest 16th of an ounce?
It's always struck me as a weird way to spend your afternoons. Hardly any women fish, presumably because unlike men they all have more sensible things to do with their time.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm with you there, Globalti. "Red mullet are on the increase along Southsea seafront with a 1lb 13oz 8dr fish taken recently from nearby South Parade Pier" - why would you want to know your catch to the nearest 16th of an ounce?
It's always struck me as a weird way to spend your afternoons. Hardly any women fish, presumably because unlike men they all have more sensible things to do with their time.

I suspect that's why some blokes do! Getting away from the Missus.

Sensible? I dunno, a lot of women spend all day traisping round clothes shops or having their hair done. I'd rather go fishing than that. (But I'd rather go cycling than either).

Ah! Thanks! I knew it was something out of the ordinary. I'm rather pleased that the explanation is so exotic! I have it in mind to swim out to the end of them (and back, obviously!) when the weather gets warmer. One could "island hop" between them on turning tide and a calm day.

Yes - be careful. If you read the Pilot's reportage, it advises that there are 'serious ebb tidal currents' about three hours after high tide...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Whilst contemplating the ebb tide, have a listen to Mina Mazzini
wave.gif

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2hDCvcxMw&feature=related[/media]

Top Bottom