Wot? No stage 5 spoiler??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Just had a look at the results (been in the garden today) and have to say... BIG UP for Bradney! 22nd today and 25th overall. Majorly impressed with the bloke!

I'm going to listen to 'Stanley Road' really loud in his honour!

yello said:
Just had a look at the results (been in the garden today) and have to say... BIG UP for Bradney! 22nd today and 25th overall. Majorly impressed with the bloke!

Me too. I thought yesterday was a one off but there he is again today. Why are you listening to Stanley road though?

Will1985

Über Member
I've just put a post about Wiggins on the stage 4 instead - I want some of his breakfast cereal!!

Armstrong is clearly not back to full fitness. Suprised that Cunego got spat out the back as early as he did - Szymyd and Basso were putting down a "killer" pace (Cassani's words not mine).

Will1985

Über Member
He wouldn't have made it over the top of Croce d'Aune with the front group yesterday on 80%. He looked reasonable and then just cracked...pretty much the same as yesterday. Maybe at 90%?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Bradley is suddenly doing so well in the mountains, it's almost suspicious... is that a horrible thing to think or just a sign of the times?

In terms of favourites, Lovkvist has turned himself from a stage-winner to a potential race-winner in a matter of seasons, Di Luca looks as others put it 'explosive' and Armstrong is clearly past it. I can't agree with cyclingnews that there are only 6 possibilities now - we've still got a long way to go - but there are some early signs

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Flying_Monkey said:
Bradley is suddenly doing so well in the mountains, it's almost suspicious... is that a horrible thing to think or just a sign of the times?
Depressingly a bit of both I think, although I can't see Wiggins juicing, personally, and certainly not while riding for Garmin.

Great finish though I thought, pleased to see Menchov take it (he certainly worked for it) less pleased to see Di Luca in Rosa (personally). Well worth watching, those of you that missed it, if you can find it on youtube etc.

I did wonder what the deuce is going on with Astana - given that Levi's the leader (supposedly) why did Amrstrong retain two riders after he'd clearly blown?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
John the Monkey said:
Depressingly a bit of both I think, although I can't see Wiggins juicing, personally, and certainly not while riding for Garmin.

Great finish though I thought, pleased to see Menchov take it (he certainly worked for it) less pleased to see Di Luca in Rosa (personally). Well worth watching, those of you that missed it, if you can find it on youtube etc.

I did wonder what the deuce is going on with Astana - given that Levi's the leader (supposedly) why did Amrstrong retain two riders after he'd clearly blown?

Wiggo cannot be on the juice (I sincerely hope:o) - not a chance. Maybe it's just that thye others aren't now!

I'd agree about Di Luca except that he's in my faqntasy team!

I agree about Armstrong but maybe Brajkovic etc were trying to curry favour with their future team boss! How much actual as opposed to moral support do team members give though up a 10% hill?

John the Monkey said:

Didn't see it, was it a definite stay with him or were they in the same boat? Can't see him getting anything out of this, perhaps he's pinning a pullback on the TT at stage 12 with good form after that. I can't believe he could do it but it would be foolish to write him off and the evidence seems to be he's thinking he can do well in this.

Skip Madness

I am something of a Menchov fan anyway, but I was blown away by his finish today - what an extraordinary acceleration.

Chalk me up as another one mind-bogglingly-impressed-almost-to-the-point-of-suspicion with Bradley Wiggins. I find it incredibly hard to believe he would be on anything though - maybe the talent was always there but it is just that in previous years he has always been told to ride in the gruppetto to save energy for working on the sprinters' stages.

I am also dead pleased to see Carlos Sastre climbing so well - I love seeing the Giro and the Vuelta get the big name riders from other countries turn up and actually perform, and I had previously suspected that Sastre might just be here for Tour preparation, but he is looking good indeed.

mondobongo

Über Member
Don't see Armstrong going the distance.

Basso is looking good, will be interesting to see how he develops in the second half of the race.

Keith Oates

Janner
Basso is looking to be the one to beat att hemoment. Armstrong is struggling but I hope he makes it to the finish, just to prove a point that he can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Flying_Monkey said:
Bradley is suddenly doing so well in the mountains, it's almost suspicious...

I have to admit, it did cross my mind. I would be pack a sulk like you'd never seen the likes of though were it to be true.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Crackle said:
Didn't see it, was it a definite stay with him or were they in the same boat?
Struck me as the former.

I'm no fan of Astana, so seeing them divide their effort like this doesn't worry me particularly, although if I were Bertie or Levi, I'd be looking to see what spots were available elsewhere. The divided loyalties situation isn't going to improve if HRH and Bruyneel do end up running the team, is it?

Top Bottom