Would 9p On The Price Of A Mars Bar Change Your Habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
So another obesity related report has emerged and in it suggests a variety of measures to reduce obesity and change poor eating habits in this country.

Some key points from the report:

- GP's will trial prescriptions for cookery classes, fruit & veg and a tour of your local supermarket to teach you how to shop.
- Sugar tax of £3 per kilo (wholesale use in food)
- Salt tax of £6 per kilo (wholesale use in food)
- Education at school regarding healthy eating and cooking
- Better school meals
- £3.4 billion raised in Taxes

Greggs sausage rolls would go up a staggering 1p per roll. Mars bars by 9p...

The issue for me is how this is likely to disproportionately affect family shoppers on a budget, tight budget. In a country where millions of charity food parcels are handed out how reasonable is this and how could it be implemented as to not increase poverty? It's easy to sneer, but "healthy alternatives" are calculated at 1.8p a Calorie but so called "junk" is 0.6p a Calorie. If you look further say at the items often included in a Trussel Trust food parcel, you can see where the cheap foods lie and how its going to affect poor families:

A typical food parcel includes:

• Cereal (could be affected)
  • Soup (could be affected)
  • Pasta
  • Rice
  • Tinned tomatoes/ pasta sauce (could be affected)
  • Lentils, beans and pulses
  • Tinned meat (could be affected)
  • Tinned vegetables (could be affected)
  • Tea/coffee
  • Tinned fruit (could be affected)
  • Biscuits (could be affected)
  • UHT milk
  • Fruit juice (could be affected)
So raising such prices to make them slightly less cheaper than healthy alternatives, how is that going to sway decisions?

Finally, In a country such as ours, with an NHS, with health free to all, why is it then that those who can afford to pay the extra tax without so much as changing their food habits, that they can continue to contribute to the overall obesity costs to the NHS?

This report is hand wringing and a tax creation exercise in my opinion. Businesses don't want to compromise their products against their competitors so it falls on the consumer to pay more or change their habits which lets face it, at 1p on a sausage roll and 9p on a Mars bar, is likely to be the former and punishing on the weekly shop for those on low incomes and the most vulnerable in society on more everyday products...

Thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:

classic33

Legendary Member
9p on a Mars Bar, if they continue getting smaller, i'd switch to something else. Most chocolate bars are now sold on calorie content, which explains their odd weights.

I eat my share of fresh fruit, and at one stage was told I was eating too much(fruit acids being bad). I'd to cut back.

I'd say get vending machines out of schools, whatever they're stocked with. Most will see the machine first, the products second anyway. Add to that that most schools make a profit with them, and you'll see there's very little chance they'll be removed.

OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
9p on a Mars Bar, if they continue getting smaller, i'd switch to something else. Most chocolate bars are now sold on calorie content, which explains their odd weights.

I eat my share of fresh fruit, and at one stage was told I was eating too much(fruit acids being bad). I'd to cut back.

I'd say get vending machines out of schools, whatever they're stocked with. Most will see the machine first, the products second anyway. Add to that that most schools make a profit with them, and you'll see there's very little chance they'll be removed.
Wagon Wheels get me. They were comparatively huge when i was younger.

Since my weight loss i'd say i eat a moderate amount of fruit. I tend to have them with other things like porridge.

It's hard to disagree with the removal of vending machines. They're nearly always filled with crap.

OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The report was conjured up by Eton chum and Son of David Dimbleby, Henry Dimbleby.

The idiot with the Banana needs no introduction. The guy standing up is Henry Dimbleby.
3414.jpg

Make of it what you will...

OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I keep a bag or two of table salt for defrosting the back step in winter.

A kilo is about 50p, so does that mean it will be £6.50?

Seems a very large increase for a marginal health benefit.
Ahh yes, i should add that it is for Salt sold for Wholesale use in processed foods. I will edit my post.

The issue is obesity and its needs to be addressed somehow. Obesity cuts across income bands.

It's best to introduce deterrents of some sort early during the formative years of growing up. We might not be able to save the adults who struggle to change their ways but kids are an opportunity. Taxes helps tilt the market place by encouraging the introduction of food stuff that meet acceptable standards as people look for alternatives.

Joffey

Guru
Would 9p On The Price Of A Mars Bar Change Your Habits?
No

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
When something similar was done with soft drinks the price didn’t increase - the sugar content was decreased instead. Admittedly that would be hard to achieve with a Mars bar, sugar being the entire point, but would be entirely possible with other products.
Absolutely. They are nudge measured, not just to consumers, but to industry. Shame they shied away from a meat tax, particularly a processed meat tax.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When something similar was done with soft drinks the price didn’t increase - the sugar content was decreased instead.
And replaced with chemical sweeteners, or plant ones sometimes. The original more-wholefood ones became dearer and less widely sold.

Unintended consequences seem a big risk with this. Never underestimate the ability of food technologists to replace a taxed ingredient with other more processed ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom