Would have been a horrific accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Cycling in this morning and I'm overtaken by a guy in a burger van - textbook overtake, no complaints there. I see him regularly and we normally share a morning nod. I like to think this helps do its bit for promoting cyclist/WVM relations.

After he has overtaken me, and slightly up the road he sticks his right-turn indicator back on so he can pull into a layby and set up his van for the morning trade. At this point an idiot on a motorbike punches it past me and burgervan man (despite the guy clearly indicating) and cuts in front, narrowly missing a van coming the over way.

Then he does another overtake not 100 yards up the road, again narrowly missing another oncoming vehicle.

Both times my heart stopped. I thought he was a dead man. :biggrin:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I ride a motorbike and I see this quite frequently, especially in the hot weather.

The guys who pull manoeuvres like that are referred to as "weekend warriors" in the biking community, because they are the types who get out on the bike once in a blue moon, are therefore inexperienced, but think that they are very experienced because they've had their motorbike license for years (but not actually used it very much!).

My rule when performing overtakes on my bike is, "if it looks iffy ... it probably is iffy! Don't do it until it's not looking iffy.".

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
XmisterIS said:
I ride a motorbike and I see this quite frequently, especially in the hot weather.

The guys who pull manoeuvres like that are referred to as "weekend warriors" in the biking community, because they are the types who get out on the bike once in a blue moon, are therefore inexperienced, but think that they are very experienced because they've had their motorbike license for years (but not actually used it very much!).

My rule when performing overtakes on my bike is, "if it looks iffy ... it probably is iffy! Don't do it until it's not looking iffy.".

Statistically these weekend warriors are in their 40's and are most likely to be killed in a road traffic accident....unfortunate for them that they dont understand these stats.

With such a lack of intelligence, makes you wonder how they manage to find their way out of the house in the morning.

Macka

XmisterIS said:

Exactly! When i ride my motorbike its a case of is the risk worth my life....answer NO!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Was that on the B3090? If so I'm guessing its the van that parks up between Hursley and Winch? Nasty nasty bit of road that.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Bollo said:
Was that on the B3090? If so I'm guessing its the van that parks up between Hursley and Winch? Nasty nasty bit of road that.

Yep - that's the one. Unfortunately without taking a fairly substantial and hilly detour its a significant part of my commute. To be fair I find the VAST majority of drivers on that stretch to be fine. However there is the odd one or two on there who seem to think they're invincible... well, they might be but I'm not and I'd rather they respected that.

akaAndrew

I was a 'born again' in as far as the profile goes.

However, I realised that bikes had changed in the 20 odd years since I had ridden one and deliberately chose to ride a 125 for a year before getting something bigger. I also took further training with the IAM, RoSPA and private firms (usually serving or ex-plod class 1 riders). I very pleased I did and now enjoy my biking immensely. I have also taken a great deal of that training and apply it to cycling. General observation skills are relevant in many areas, even as a pedestrian!

I got used to the weekend warriors, power rangers, etc etc - call them what you will - on Sunday's in the Cotswolds. I saw some quite stupidly selfish riding, making others make allowances for their insane riding. At one point, I wanted to stop riding because I didn't want to even be associated with it. But I realised that theirs was a different world, and one I didn't have to belong to.

Some of the born agains are superb bike handlers. Most corner WAY faster than I would ever dare. But I realised my happiness on the bike was twinned with how safe I felt and was little to do with what others could do. As soon as it clicked that my riding was my concern, and mine only, then I truely became 'at one' with my bike!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kaipaith said:
Yep - that's the one. Unfortunately without taking a fairly substantial and hilly detour its a significant part of my commute. To be fair I find the VAST majority of drivers on that stretch to be fine. However there is the odd one or two on there who seem to think they're invincible... well, they might be but I'm not and I'd rather they respected that.

WARNING - LOCAL TALK FOR LOCAL PEOPLE!

Going via Farley Mount is a rollercoaster, but have you tried the single track road that runs parallel to the B3090 and heads up to Oliver's Battery. Its a right-and-then-a-left at the King's Head pub in Hursley. It comes out about 100 yards from the Pitt roundabout, so its not that much of a detour, is less hilly (one up instead of an up-down-up) and way more civilised. Apologies if you already know about this one.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Bollo said:
WARNING - LOCAL TALK FOR LOCAL PEOPLE!

Going via Farley Mount is a rollercoaster, but have you tried the single track road that runs parallel to the B3090 and heads up to Oliver's Battery. Its a right-and-then-a-left at the King's Head pub in Hursley. It comes out about 100 yards from the Pitt roundabout, so its not that much of a detour, is less hilly (one up instead of an up-down-up) and way more civilised. Apologies if you already know about this one.

That's my route home. The reason for that is on my way in I go via Braishfield and come out at Standon on the B3090. Heading up Port Lane in Winch would be a bit of a backtrack.

Tynan

Veteran
I drove down the M11 today and twice winced at bikers passing on the inside, from the outside lane, one inside a car indicating to pull in from the outside, another at a turn off where anyone might had suddenly dived for the turn off

all at 80mph

it was indeed a Saturday

GrasB

Veteran
2 years ago I used to commute up the M11 at 5:30am & motorbike were a nightmare. There was 5 or 6 of them I used to see regularly & they were completely fearless, ignore your signals, etc. Put the fear of god into me every time I saw them in the mirrors as I had absolutely no clue as to what they'd do.

Top Bottom