Would this be a good commuting bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
I used to own A marin I recomend them cant comment on that model though.

Seems good, but remember to add 2x brake pads, cassette, chain, jockey wheels, 2x brake + 2x gear cables and possibly front chainrings to whatever you are willing to offer, then decide if it is a good buy.

His cassete looks pretty worn, hence the above. Though you will need cables, brake blocks whatever state the rest is in.

e-mail the seller to ask the reserve price. It might be more than you want to pay anyhow.

I like Marins. Well put together bikes.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The larkspur is fairly similar to what I have for pleasure and commuting, suits me fine but I'm not the speediest person in the world. I'm guessing the cassette on it is identical to mine and that's not brilliant. The UG50 chain you might as well replace too. When I replaced mine the one it was changed for was miles better.

Tynan

Veteran
ah, that's the bike LBS offered me when I first went in for something cheap, about £350 as I recall, serviceable but not special

suspension seatpost ...

Maz

Guru
remember it's 'pickup only'...you're in wales but i dont know how far you are from anglesey.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
you'll know it's pronounced "amlook" won't you? :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye said:

I went for an interview there once: Manufacturing plant.

I didn't get it but the travel money paid for a slap up breakfast on the way back :biggrin:

simonali

Guru
I like Marin bikes. They are always among the lightest available for a given price range and, as a result of this, tend to be nice to ride.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Crackle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecstilleyedye

I went for an interview there once: Manufacturing plant.

I didn't get it but the travel money paid for a slap up breakfast on the way back :sad:

How long ago exactly are we talking here, I can't think of any Manufacturing sites in Amlwch. You're not thinking about Wylfa Power Station up the road in Cemaes Bay are you?

Maz
remember it's 'pickup only'...you're in wales but i dont know how far you are from anglesey.

About 25 miles or so I'd say. Not all that keen on Amlwch I must say, it's in the back of beyond. The Viking Festival is quite good though, they set Parys "mountain" on fire the last time I went. I don't know why they call it a mounain, Anglesey is pretty much all flat with the exception of the other "mountian" in Holyhead.

I think I would consider a Marin, but the components on the larkspur aren't that much different to the one on my GT Nomad Sport.
There is a Carrera Subway going, again on Anglesey;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150226424149&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005
Tempting but not enough gears for all the hills round here I don't think.

I'm quite disappointed there doesn't seem to be any cheap road bikes knocking about near me - they all seem predominantly MTB with the odd Hybrid thrown in.

Plax said:
How long ago exactly are we talking here, I can't think of any Manufacturing sites in Amlwch. You're not thinking about Wylfa Power Station up the road in Cemaes Bay are you?

We are talking about 15 years ago and you're right it wasn't Amlwch. I just looked it up on Autoroute and remember going past RAF valley on the old A5, so it must have been Holyhead. I think they manufactured hoover parts, can't quite remember now. They took me round the plant and then asked me what I saw wrong with the processes. Obviously my analysis wasn't good enough.

Plax, is that your daughter in the Avatar? And is she holding up two fingers :biggrin:?

:sad:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
Plax, is that your daughter in the Avatar? And is she holding up two fingers :sad:?
:tongue:

Thankfully I'm not old enough to have a 26 year old daughter - It's my little sister, taken in the late 1980s I think. Yes, she is holding up two fingers. I was finding really embarrassing photos to put up of her (yes, I am a mean older sister, but she was asking for it!:biggrin:) and thought this was really funny. Then Bonj made a pop at my avatar and thought I'd put this up just for him:tongue:

Top Bottom