Would you go clipless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoglug

Hi everyone, just after a bit advice really.

Had my Specialized Allez now for 5 weeks and i love it. My question is would you go clipless?

The bike is used to commute to work which is a 16 mile round trip, but ive also been venturing out on longer rides, up through Glossop and also attempting Holmemoss :tongue: the bike is still completely standard and am just interested in people's views as to whether they would go with clipless pedals and shoes, or just stick with the standard straps with commuting every day.

Cheers

Zog

MajorMantra

Yes. You won't regret it.

Matthew

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If you're happy with straps stick with those. If not go clipless. Fair bit of money but some big benefits.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I've just ordered some shinano M520 pedals, so Im going clipless very soon :tongue: after a test on a friends clipless bike I could feel the difference right away, thats what made my mind up to switch.

TVC

Go clipless, shave your legs and buy some Sudocrem... then we'll let you in on the big secret;) you know it makes sense.

marinyork

But what about from straps to clipless. One of the people I regularly ride on has just changed from many years of clips to road clips and thinks there is a difference but it's not that gigantic.

If you are fine with clips then stay with them until you need to, or can easily afford to change to clipless. Shoes + pedals > £70 minimum and I agree that the difference between clipless and clips is nowhere near as big as from flat pedals to clips/clipless. Clipless are cool though.

MajorMantra

2Loose said:
If you are fine with clips then stay with them until you need to, or can easily afford to change to clipless. Shoes + pedals > £70 minimum and I agree that the difference between clipless and clips is nowhere near as big as from flat pedals to clips/clipless. Clipless are cool though.

If you can get shoes in a special buy from Lidl/Aldi then shoes+pedals < £40.

Even with branded stuff it shouldn't be hard to go clipless (SPDs that is, road stuff will be a little more) for £60.

Matthew

marinyork

MajorMantra said:
If you can get shoes in a special buy from Lidl/Aldi then shoes+pedals < £40.

Even with branded stuff it shouldn't be hard to go clipless (SPDs that is, road stuff will be a little more) for £60.

Matthew

That's not the point. £40 is still a lot of money. Clipless pedals are a useful but very expensive gadget. If one already uses clips any money becomes a big weighing up factor.

OP
OP
Z

zoglug

The straps wee what came with the bike, so just decided to keep them. The money isnt a massive issue......its my birthday shortly ;) its just with commuting everyday will i really feel the benefit of upgrading and going clipless, or is it likely to be more of a hinder with the solid shoes and massive cleats?

Suppose only i can make the decision of whether its worth it. hmm, choices choices.

IMO, theres nothing like the feeling when on your first clipless ride you leap out of the saddle to charge up a climb, and just feel the bike surge beneath you like you never have before.... ahhhh

PpPete

Legendary Member
I rode toe clips on & off for 20 yrs - started cycling regularly now and put M520 on my best bike. Looking to get another set now for the hack - they are MUCH better IMO

Top Bottom