Would you report someone to the Police for breaking Covid rules............

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
LOL happy new year to you too.
Thank you, although I can't shake the notion your best wishes may lack sincerity.

One thing's for sure, you and I will never have a problem maintaining social distancing.

Landsurfer

Über Member
Something strange happening in Rotherham ...
Last night there were police vans parked at Meadowbank, Rawmarsh and Kimberworth estates. The police officers where challenging any one on foot as to their reason for being out. The challenged my daughter.
All 3 areas are low income, predominantly white British areas.
My daughter enquired if there was a similar presence in Eastwood, a town centre estate almost exclusively populated by low income eastern europeans, Roma and Asian refugees ... It's where the council house these particular groups.
The male officer glared at my daughter, the female officer commented "Whats the point".
Not sure whats going on here ...... ??

Rocky

Reprobate
Last night there were police vans parked at Meadowbank, Rawmarsh and Kimberworth estates. The police officers where challenging any one on foot as to their reason for being out. The challenged my daughter.
My daughter enquired if there was a similar presence in Eastwood, a town centre estate almost exclusively populated by low income eastern europeans, Roma and Asian refugees ... It's where the council house these particular groups.
The male officer glared at my daughter, the female officer commented "Whats the point".
Take it at face value - Covid is a nasty disease killing 1 in 100 who catch it. The new variant is more contagious that the original virus. The police are trying to stop people spreading the virus by reminding people of the new lockdown laws. I'm sure your daughter was acting responsibly and so should be grateful the police are there trying to protect her from infection.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Shake it,
What, you mean as in like a Polaroid picture?

I was pretty hip - about 40 years ago.

tedentious
I take it you mean tendentious, although even a great grammar guru such as myself had to check the spelling.

Not that I see either of us as controversial, we just hold different views on nearly every topic that has arisen so far.

In the last lockdown, my mate Steve went a bit stir crazy, so he prepared a sandwich and a flask, drove two or three miles to the coast, and settled down to his 'picnic' while listening to the car radio.

After a few minutes he was approached by a couple of coppers.

Cutting the exchange short, he was told he was a naughty boy and should go home immediately.

Which, as a hard working and law-abiding citizen, rather annoyed him.

But he did the right thing and complied without making much of a fuss.

As with any police interaction, it's best kept as short as possible.

In the last lockdown, my mate Steve went a bit stir crazy, so he prepared a sandwich and a flask, drove two or three miles to the coast, and settled down to his 'picnic' while listening to the car radio.

After a few minutes he was approached by a couple of coppers.

Cutting the exchange short, he was told he was a naughty boy and should go home immediately.

Which, as a hard working and law-abiding citizen, rather annoyed him.

But he did the right thing and complied without making much of a fuss.

As with any police interaction, it's best kept as short as possible.
That strikes me as bonkers policing.
Waste of their very limited time and going to imperil public consent/compliance.
The Met seem to have been doing background press briefings saying that they will start coming down like a ton of bricks on folk with very rapid progression to fines, little conversation. But if I have read the guidance they are operating under, little has changed. ie, if you don't get into an argument, move on, you aren't going to be sanctioned in any way.
As always it helps if you are on a bike* I think - I will be riding pretty much where I want around greater London under my own steam alone.
* Tandem riders may attract special attention, solo tandem riders even more so.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That strikes me as bonkers policing.
Waste of their very limited time and going to imperil public consent/compliance
That was my mate's conclusion.

When he arrived, he did notice there was literally no other signs of life.

Even in lockdown, he was expecting a few parked cars and people strolling about.

We wondered if, for whatever reason, the coppers had decided that day to 'clear' their patch of the seafront.

lazybloke

Let's go sledding
Seems like the Covidiots next door have had a constant stream of friends, family/extended family dropping in all all month, but it ramped up on Friday for a birthday celebration and has carried on all weekend with people popping in to see their new dog.
How thick do you have to be?

PK99

Legendary Member
Seems like the Covidiots next door have had a constant stream of friends, family/extended family dropping in all all month, but it ramped up on Friday for a birthday celebration and has carried on all weekend with people popping in to see their new dog.
How thick do you have to be?
Don't whinge here. Use the anonymous online reporting tool.

lazybloke

Let's go sledding
Don't whinge here. Use the anonymous online reporting tool.
But N&CA is a good place for whinge. You should know, you're whinging about my whinge. I'm in danger of whinging back.

Anonymous report my a**e; it would be obvious who had reported them. Have you now seen the threads on CC about bad blood between neighbours? No way am I risking a feud.

Don't think the police would be interested anyway, unless there was a gathering of several visitors at the same time (I think the threshold is 15).

Just sees stupid to start acting normal again when there are still 10s of millions who have yet to be jabbed.

Craig the cyclist

Our gathering had three senior healthcare professionals. They were 100% fine with it. I'll take my chances based on likely viral load outdoors with minimum 2m spacing between individuals for an hour or so. It was lovely to have a chat with neighbours we hadn't seen to talk to for months
Yeah, now I don't want to put a downer on this, but senior healthcare professionals are not actually immune from the virus.

Sadly I am unable to say exactly where, but just before Christmas a group of senior anaesthetists held an audit meeting. They were in the same room, but socially distanced. The result was 4 days of total theatres shutdown, including seriously ill patients being transferred to neighbouring hospitals for emergency ops, electives cancelled for a few weeks, cleaning of everywhere, then a huge bill for locums and mutual aid of moving people around local hospitals, dozens of staff having to self-isolate and total chaos ensued!

All because a group of very senior clinicians 'knew and understood the risks' :wacko:

Top Bottom