Would you report someone to the Police for breaking Covid rules............

BoldonLad

Veteran
Seems like the Covidiots next door have had a constant stream of friends, family/extended family dropping in all all month, but it ramped up on Friday for a birthday celebration and has carried on all weekend with people popping in to see their new dog.
How thick do you have to be?
Over a period of a month? Key question is "how many infections?"

lazybloke

Let's go sledding
Over a period of a month? Key question is "how many infections?"
Surprised you have to ask, there have been over 4.1 million confirmed infections in the UK so far, thanks in part to idiots who think it's okay to break lockdown.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
It's one of my worries when the lockdown eases - people are just going to go nuts and go back to having bbq's and mates round on the basis of 'Granny's had the jab'.

Craig the cyclist

Because you've leapt from a comment about "understanding risk", to a statement about cause-and-effect. With a phenomonon like viral infection every risk is about probabilty; you can only blame people (and criticise them) if wearing the right PPE*

*A good-quality set of hindsight goggles
A 'risk' is about the likelihood of a an event happening, the event here being the passing on of a serious infection by a group of people who spend their entire working lives treating people with that very serious infection, and by last Christmas the risk of asymptomatic infection was extremely well known. As none of the clinicians had donned their PPE, but had sat apart from each other, the risk (or likelihood of an asymptomatic carrier among the group) was high.

So yes, this group of people who deal with the infection daily, took an unnecessary level of risk in holding an unnecessary meeting, in an unnecessary manner, putting others at risk through infection, cancelled operations, adding to the workload of fellow clinicians and costing thousands and thousands of pounds. Anyway, let's all focus on the Government and not blame my fellow NHS workers for cocking up shall we? Trust me, I could tell you some horror stories about PPE.

Oh, and I don't understand why in a viral infection the risk is about probability? ALL risk is about probability, if it wasn't then it wouldn't be risk, it would be certainty!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Maybe all the grannies having get togethers will need to be reminded not to kill the grandkids.
Yes, ideally the grannies will need to be reminded not to put their children and grandchildren in hospital. But through unvaccinated and those who vaccines don't stop hospitalisation that's still a fairly big pool of people to merit being careful, even among their fellow grannies.

johnblack

Über Member
Yes, ideally the grannies will need to be reminded not to put their children and grandchildren in hospital. But through unvaccinated and those who vaccines don't stop hospitalisation that's still a fairly big pool of people to merit being careful, even among their fellow grannies.
So maybe more along the lines of "Grannies, don't kill your Grandkids or other Grannies or those who cannot be vaccinated or those who have but will still get ill." Looses the impact, we need to keep it snappy.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So maybe more along the lines of "Grannies, don't kill your Grandkids or other Grannies or those who cannot be vaccinated or those who have but will still get ill." Looses the impact, we need to keep it snappy.
The reason I mentioned hospitalisations is that I am, very fortunately, very unlikely to die of covid, 175x less likely than someone who is 85+. I'm not that much less likely to be hospitalised than the plethora of people in their early 50s, who are going to get a vaccination very soon. This point was very indirectly dealt with by Chris Whitty and one of his slides yesterday, but it didn't have the full force of message. The hospitals can have a lot of people in them still and this still helps hinder the day to day running of hospitals for everyone else which is largely forgotten about.

A year into this with politicians and some public health bods and posters, they switch back and forth talking about deaths, hospitalisations and long covid when it suits them often then retreating back to deaths only when they want to justify something or easing things quicker. There needs to be a lot more talk of hospitalisations and long covid and talking about deaths but rarer and in context.

I'd have thought Grandparents and parents don't put your children/grandchildren in hospital or give them long covid would be a reasonably snappy message that could get consensus. It's not scaring people unnecessarily but telling people to be careful.

If people talk about solely about death in the messaging too much in future, the public aren't daft and will just lose confidence.

Top Bottom