Would you say this was someone being an arse??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Dwaff Family

Well, just got in from a cycle along the canal with my kiddies. Went along from Three Locks pub and into Leighton Buzzard. Dad and 2 older kids way ahead and me and 6yrold Custard way back. All of a sudden I hear some idiot going really,really fast behind me, closer he get's he's still not brought his speed down, tried getting Custard to stay in but this guy just came racing past, shoot the life out of him but luckily he didn't panic and end up crashing into him. Not once did the idiot even tell us he was coming by horn, voice and did not slow his approach. This was on a flippin narrow towpath.

I was livid and I did have a rant at him saying 'where's you bloody manners/etiquette' and that 'it's people like you who give cyclists a bad name' There would have been an awful lot of swearing had I not had the little man with me. I have never experienced this from any cyclist before now, all have shown etiquette/respect for others using the path and vice versa. I was just horrified that it could have been quite a nasty collision with such a young child had he not have kept his calm and stayed exactly put when I am telling him to keep in, but was so narrow anyway, as the idiot races past!

I so hope I do not come across this person again and if the idiot is reading this : YOU ARE AN UTTER peanut!!

Jim_Noir

IMHO I think folks like this are peanuts, and are the cycle version of bad drivers.

abo

Definate arse. I've already learned you need to watch your speed around peds but especially so where kids and dogs are involved because they can be so flippin unpredictable. And the last thing I'd want to do is ride into a kid at any speed, I know how I'd react if some careless oaf did it to one of mine for one thing.

potsy

Rambler
I don't like this word. It's so 1800's.

That is all.

Don't ever take up golf then
biggrin.gif

Done a bit of shared use path cycling this week and have to say I've been impressed with the respect shown by everyone we've passed, people moving over, dog walkers making sure their dogs are well behaved etc.
There will always be the odd exception, only to be expected unfortunately.

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

Being quite a sporty family we use this word frequently in hockey, golf etc and I will continue to use the word etiquette and will teach my kiddies the meaning of etiquette in during their sporting activities :biggrin:

Back on topic: I was so angry and shocked, he really was acting like he was in a big race and would just knock anyone or anything down on his way. This wasn't even a normal sized path, had become just a thin bit of towpath. I will definitely remember what this man looks like if I ever see him again :smile:

400bhp

Guru
Don't let him wind you up-just another of life's A-Holes.

BTW, hockey and golf are posh sports.

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

Don't ever take up golf then
biggrin.gif

Done a bit of shared use path cycling this week and have to say I've been impressed with the respect shown by everyone we've passed, people moving over, dog walkers making sure their dogs are well behaved etc.
There will always be the odd exception, only to be expected unfortunately.

Haha! You mentioned golf as I was typing my reply, it's all golf in our house!

This was why I was so shocked, normally people are very good,even if not polite there is certainly no-one being an idiot, he really could have caused quite an accident to my little boy with speed he was going at, or anyone else who was in his path for that matter,

potsy

Rambler
Don't let him wind you up-just another of life's A-Holes.

BTW, hockey and golf are posh sports.

I used to think that until I played at Alty golf course behind two guys with no shirts on swigging Strongbow from the can :biggrin:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Well, just got in from a cycle along the canal with my kiddies. Went along from Three Locks pub and into Leighton Buzzard. Dad and 2 older kids way ahead and me and 6yrold Custard way back. All of a sudden I hear some idiot going really,really fast behind me, closer he get's he's still not brought his speed down, tried getting Custard to stay in but this guy just came racing past, shoot the life out of him but luckily he didn't panic and end up crashing into him. Not once did the idiot even tell us he was coming by horn, voice and did not slow his approach. This was on a flippin narrow towpath.

I was livid and I did have a rant at him saying 'where's you bloody manners/etiquette' and that 'it's people like you who give cyclists a bad name' There would have been an awful lot of swearing had I not had the little man with me. I have never experienced this from any cyclist before now, all have shown etiquette/respect for others using the path and vice versa. I was just horrified that it could have been quite a nasty collision with such a young child had he not have kept his calm and stayed exactly put when I am telling him to keep in, but was so narrow anyway, as the idiot races past!

I so hope I do not come across this person again and if the idiot is reading this : YOU ARE AN UTTER peanut!!

I have to disagree, he's an peanut.

OP
OP
The Dwaff Family

The Dwaff Family

Little Yellow Brompton-I know it's peanut :thumbsup: , I just chose to say it differently :biggrin:

Arch-I hope so too and when I just so happen to be there again, hopefully!

But seriously, why on earth would someone be so wreckless? We alway's try and show decency to all, alway's teaching our children about etiquette(just for you 400bhp);) ,we say hello to all we pass, whether that be walker's, people on barges or other cyclists and alway's move out of the way for other people if we need to.

Seigi

It's good that you're teaching your children to be polite, it always makes my day much better when I pass a cyclist and they're cheery and say hello. The other day I was cycling past someone mowing their lawn in the countryside and he started waving heartily, that brightened my day :tongue:

But some people are either in a rush, or just their own element and don't respect other people. There has been some times when I've got grumpy looks from people going by, or not being considerate, or not moving to one side of the path but I normally try and not let it spoil my day.

Top Bottom