Would you still buy a TV Licence...

YukonBoy

The Monch
I don’t have a wireless

Yes I would.

The "review" is a transparent threat to the BBC.

As is dumping the old folks' free licence on to it.

I don't trust Boris with it.

An inch.

Mind you I thought Blair and Campbell a serious threat to it.

The BBC, despite not being perfect, is one thing we Brits can treasure.

I know a certain amount about Italy.

And got help us if it's ever reduced to the level of RAI.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have a telly but it hasnt been turned on for 3-4 years. I dont listen to radio either though i do use the BBC website to follow up with world news, sports and weather. I dont think my usage alone is worth the £154.50 TV license fee and in an era where taxpayers are getting less value for money. The whole system needs a rework and maybe offer a few more choices which people can choose from which includes opting out of paying completely because you dont agree with the Beebs political bias or the amount of brain dead reality TV shows they host on their channel.

People should be allowed to pay for QUALITY. Not QUANTITY. There is a reason why streaming services like Amazon, Netflix and HBO have really taken off in the last decade... Because they offer superior content for a lot less than the tv licensing fee.

I find TV soaps incredibly boring as well. While i dont agree with paying £154.50. I dont mind chipping in a much smaller fee for the usage of their website. but only a small fee with an option on their website to donate money or buy a higher tier subscription should i deem their service worthy of such patronage.

The whole system just needs to be reworked to make it value for money.

AndyRM

XOXO
The BBCs coverage of Scottish football is a joke, but I'm prepared to overlook that given the high quality elsewhere, so yes I'd still pay for a license.

Last edited:
The whole system needs a rework and maybe offer a few more choices which people can choose from which includes opting out of paying completely because you dont agree with the Beebs political bias or the amount of brain dead reality TV shows they host on their channel.
What do you consider the political bias?**

I don't watch any of the reality things at all (and am p'ed off when they get plugs on breakfast TV) but don't really mind them running them for folks into that type of stuff.

** see above about RAI - and licence fee PLUS adverts.

(some folk have theories about where the money goes on the variety shows but I'd better not air them in a family forum)

Reactions: C R

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I have a telly but it hasnt been turned on for 3-4 years. I dont listen to radio either though i do use the BBC website to follow up with world news, sports and weather. I dont think my usage alone is worth the £154.50 TV license fee and in an era where taxpayers are getting less value for money. The whole system needs a rework and maybe offer a few more choices which people can choose from which includes opting out of paying completely because you dont agree with the Beebs political bias or the amount of brain dead reality TV shows they host on their channel.

People should be allowed to pay for QUALITY. Not QUANTITY. There is a reason why streaming services like Amazon, Netflix and HBO have really taken off in the last decade... Because they offer superior content for a lot less than the tv licensing fee.

I find TV soaps incredibly boring as well. While i dont agree with paying £154.50. I dont mind chipping in a much smaller fee for the usage of their website. but only a small fee with an option on their website to donate money or buy a higher tier subscription should i deem their service worthy of such patronage.

The whole system just needs to be reworked to make it value for money.
Isn't Netflix' cheapest option £5.99 pm, but if you fancy a bit of HD or more than one device at a time and it's up to £8.99 pm, £107.88 pa? So not really that much cheaper and good luck getting some local news or weather on it. I'd also say that an awful lot of Netflix is absolute dross, I'm not convinced by the superior content argument, different certainly. I don't think Amazon is any cheaper and that's populated by utter shite too.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
My telly doesn't work. I think there's something wrong with the aerial. I might still pay because I listen to the radio quite s bit: either Radio 4, 5 or 6.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
That article is a bit confused about alternative means of enforcement. While non payment of gas or electric is a civil matter for the County (ie small claims) Court Non payment of Council \Tax can, if wilful, land you on jail. More commonly it goes to bailiffs who use some pretty heavy duty methods of enforcement.

It's an analogue system in a digital age. The world has moved on and the BBC should be a subscription service. If the quality is as good as they believe, it'll thrive.

Top Bottom