Would you still buy a TV Licence...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I see the BBC have a streaming service where they make programmes with licence payer's money then sell them to licence payers. Genius.
I presume you’re referring to BritBox?
These are all repeats previously broadcast on BBC, C4 or ITV. So no original content.
I can’t see any point in buying it, as the iPlayer has loads of free stuff. The C4 and UKTV players are good too.

They’re making a new series of Spitting Image for their streaming service. It was being promoted heavily on the BBC News (ha!) website.

OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The licence fee accounts for about £3.7 billion of the BBC’s annual budget. Is there enough additional advertising spend to fund that without seriously affecting the other broadcasters and netcasters too?
In a word, no.

Commercial TV has been struggling for well over a decade as many advertisers have realised that their money is better spent on internet advertising.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I think the TV licence should be scrapped and the BBC should find another system of funding. It used to be a fine institution, but there is nothing on it I want to watch, and even the radio annoys me now. Other radio stations annoy me more, but there are podcasts. I think being forced to buy the TV licence when you want to watch other channels is like being forced to buy The Guardian when you want to read The Mail or The Morning Star. It's become too feminised. It's lost most its good sport. I suspect a past government stuffed it by forcing it to buy programming from private companies. It made a lot of money for some of those companies but it hamstrung the BBC's own programme making capacity. The BBC could survive without the licence fee and it should do so.

OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What alternative to funding it do you propose... bearing in mind that commercial TV has been loosing a lot of advertising revenue for well over a decade now, so that's not really a viable model for the future.

AndyRM

XOXO
I think the TV licence should be scrapped and the BBC should find another system of funding. It used to be a fine institution, but there is nothing on it I want to watch, and even the radio annoys me now. Other radio stations annoy me more, but there are podcasts. I think being forced to buy the TV licence when you want to watch other channels is like being forced to buy The Guardian when you want to read The Mail or The Morning Star. It's become too feminised. It's lost most its good sport. I suspect a past government stuffed it by forcing it to buy programming from private companies. It made a lot of money for some of those companies but it hamstrung the BBC's own programme making capacity. The BBC could survive without the licence fee and it should do so.
"It's become too feminised"?

What on earth does that mean?

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Well it was last time I watched it, but I just looked up this Saturday's evening schedule and it's all football. I assume that's atypical because of this spot of bat flu we've been having.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
What alternative to funding it do you propose... bearing in mind that commercial TV has been loosing a lot of advertising revenue for well over a decade now, so that's not really a viable model for the future.
Subscription. They can also sell overseas. They actually have a lot of IP and a strong brand they can exploit if they don't continue to damage them.

It's poor value these days. Less and less decent dramas and films and more and more mindless celeb dancing and cooking programmes, talent shows, etc. Suppose it says as much about what the bulk of the British public want as they wouldn't keep churning it out if it wasn't popular.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'd be interested to know how this would apply to BBC radio?
I agree radio is a problem. However it is a bit weird they can put out free radio on money raised on watching television. I don't pay for television any more (because I don't watch it) but I am allowed to listen to the BBC's radio stations. I don't have to listen to any commercials. There is much greater variety of programmes on BBC radio than on the commercial radios, but it is difficult for commercial radios to compete.

Top Bottom