Would you still buy a TV Licence...

Mike_P

Veteran
It's £3.02 a week, I suspect any other form of payment would be dearer and that would be for a poorer service.

Mike_P

Veteran
There is much greater variety of programmes on BBC radio than on the commercial radios, but it is difficult for commercial radios to compete.
Part of that problem is the loss of local commercial radio to increasing large chunks of the country. In North Yorkshire there are currently three local commercial stations deeply ingrained in their local communities each broadcasting locally with no sharing of programs, while their is a solitary BBC station based in York and too York focussed. From September Bauer are closing, unless a miracle happens, the commercial stations replacing them with a quasi national service that has a 3 hour "local" drive time show, but by local they are using OFCOMs definition which is actually regional and that hence will be for the whole of Yorkshire. One of the three was voted earlier this year as being the third best local station in the country behind two BBCs ones.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's poor value these days. Less and less decent dramas and films and more and more mindless celeb dancing and cooking programmes, talent shows, etc. Suppose it says as much about what the bulk of the British public want as they wouldn't keep churning it out if it wasn't popular.
At +/- £3 a week I feel it's still good value as I get R4 as well which I feel is excellent. I'd pay £3/week just for R4.

I agree BBC quality has declined considerably, I rarely find something to hold my attention. Netflix at £2.50/week often seems superior.

David Tenant and Michael Sheen in Staged are absolutely brilliant. Only the BBC would/could do this. So there is still quality.

OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm not sure if TV quality has declined, or if I just grew out of it. I look back with rose tinted glasses to the days when telly was brilliant (late 70s and 80s), but I'm sure my Nanna was sat in the background muttering What a load of rubbish! ...and rewatching some of the stuff I used to be glued to, it really hasn't aged well. Maybe it was always a bit crap but i was too naive to realise.

I agree with PaulSB, £3 a week for radio4 (and 6music) would be money well spent, but i don't have to pay it so i don't.

Why did they scrap the radio licence? ...was it early/mid 80s??

Last edited:
There's rarely anything on any channel of interest to me. I only have a licence because of the kids, otherwise I'd be ok with the various catchup apps (not iPlayer, obv) and DVDs.

Reality shows, soaps and gameshows seem to be the order of the day on BBC TV now. And historical dramas that have been done five times previously.

I'm not sure if TV quality has declined, or if I just grew out of it. I look back with rose tinted glasses to the days when telly was brilliant (late 70s and 80s), but I'm sure my Nanna was sat in the background muttering What a load of rubbish! ...and rewatching some of the stuff I used to be glued to, it really hasn't aged well. Maybe it was always a bit crap but i was too naive to realise.

I agree with PaulSB, £3 a week for radio4 (and 6music) would be money well spent, but i don't have to pay it so i don't.

Why did they scrap the radio licence? ...was it early/mid 80s??

Mike_P

Veteran
Not sure TV was that better in the 70s and 80s, was it not usual that a peak viewing time had a US cop show of limited script, acting ability and probably only best remembered for its theme tune. The one advantage it did have their was only 3 or 4 channels whereas today its potentially hours spend pouring over listings to find the one or two programs that may be worth watching on Alibi/Gold/Yesterday/Smithsonian etc

Government still owes Murdoch for various services rendered. When the BBC is gutted and the bandwidth and licences sold to Murdoch owned companies you will know mind control. Expect TV for Daily Express readers, Murdochs big money (TV broadcast businesses) comes from sport airtime and race to the bottom sub gutter news and "general interest" viewing.
Always be careful what you wish for. ITV is a hairs breadth from trouble, there is no such thing as too big to fail in media companies now.
Enjoy the balanced UK version of Fox News coming to a screen near you on FTA TV Murdovision style.

Indeed. Expect Ofcom’s requirement that broadcasters are fair and balanced across their output to be dropped in favour of a more, ahem, market driven model in the not too distant future.
Sir Royston Merchant made real. News filtered because the network owner has interests in the country/company/political party that deserves a story to be aired as matter of public interest. It happens all the time in the utter dross that passes as TV news in privately owned mainland European networks, Berlusconi owned networks are serial offenders of missing stories that are uncomfortable or unprofitable for the owner.

rustyroger

Joni Mitchell sang "You don't know what you've got 'til its gone" in "Big Yellow Taxi".
The song was about the environment, but the same sentiment could equally be applied to the BBC and it's current oppression by our current government. Just about every Government since Wilson came to office has accused the BBC of a bias opposite to the leaning of whichever party was in office. However the multiple channels (of mostly dross imo) mean that more broadcasters are trying to grab a share of a shrinking pie. This plays straight into Johnson's hands. His media owning backers constantly rail against the BBC, if it is accused of not racing to the bottom then it is indeed at fault. But for nearly 100 years the BBC has provided a fairly good news service that helped those living under oppressive regimes keep up to date with what was really happening. It is the envy of many countries I have visited, it's loss would be a very sad turn of events for anyone who cares more about how the world is run than which talentless celebrity is having sex with another.

Roger.

Top Bottom