Would you still buy a TV Licence...

Chris S

Guru
I've just noticed that last year the BBC received £3.7 billion pounds from TV licence fees. Channel 4 is another publicly owned company but they're completely self-funding. If the BBC can't do the same then they are wasting money on programs that have little or no demand. The sooner the licence fee is scrapped the better.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
little or no demand
Come back when you've studied the viewing and listening figures.

And then explain why demand and cost are the best way to measure cultural artefacts.

OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've just noticed that last year the BBC received £3.7 billion pounds from TV licence fees. Channel 4 is another publicly owned company but they're completely self-funding. If the BBC can't do the same then they are wasting money on programs that have little or no demand. The sooner the licence fee is scrapped the better.
and what would be the ideal funding alternative?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
C4 is a single channel with a narrow remit.
The BBC has an enormous remit covering many things that are never going to be profitable and rightly so.

The BBCs commercial arm also makes around £1 billion pa which is about the same as Channel 4 makes.

OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Adverts from the programs that people want to watch. Scrap the rest.
Commercial TV has been losing advertising revenue for well over a decade. It's really struggling.

TV adverts are expensive to produce, expensive to air and advertisers get a lot more bang for their buck advertising online.

Top Bottom