Would you want him as your team sponsor?

snorri

Legendary Member
I suppose it's a good career move to agree with the boss:whistle:.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
"The billionaire said Ineos had invested £2.5bn in the UK over the last 20 years, and that he had "never made a penny of profit in the UK"."

I wonder if that's down to creative accounting? I mean, he can't be a crap businessman, can he?

I do believe there have been far more dubious sponsors in professional cycling, we were discussing this in pro cycling. Some quick googling came up with...

I was thinking the same thing. Bahrain does not exactly have a wonderful human rights record, Katusha arguably has more dodgy environmental links, a quick Google shows me some anti-abortion links, tobacco, concrete making etc.... so perhaps not the most amoral but the closest to home we've ever had, plus a strong personal dislike of Britain's richest man, based on only what I've read, including today.
I'm still not sure I like him, his attitude to EU environmental rules, his views on fracking, his strong arming of government with threats to close plants etc..... but definetly not the worst sponsor in cycling.

OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
His views differ from yours and your best defense is to slag him off as a tax dodger?
I would not be too surprised if it transpired that his banking went via somewhere like the Cayman Islands.... just saying. JR Mogg has an account there. What worries me about this guy is his attitude to the environment. He must be chomping at the bit to get rid of some regulations. It's OK for his views to differ, I just think its oddly ironic that he sponsors an activity which has a low impact on the environment, unlike his business which I suspect he'd like to 'liberate' from EU environmental law and thus have a bigger footprint.

I would not be too surprised if it transpired that his banking went via somewhere like the Cayman Islands.... just saying. JR Mogg has an account there. What worries me about this guy is his attitude to the environment. He must be chomping at the bit to get rid of some regulations. It's OK for his views to differ, I just think its oddly ironic that he sponsors an activity which has a low impact on the environment, unlike his business which I suspect he'd like to 'liberate' from EU environmental law and thus have a bigger footprint.

You've just repeated your original faulty and bigoted reasoning all over again, in different words.

If his attitude to the environment worries you, don't call him a tax dodger. That doesn't build an argument. State his points (accurately), state your points and show how your way of doing things is superior to his.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom