wow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

So am cycling up the chevin this morning when man in a cycling cap passes me. Not too unusual, anyway as we are coming to weetwood i start catching him up. Aha my natural weight 'advantage' and gravity doing its stuff.

Caught him up in headingly.............he was on a fixed!!!:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

So if you are the bloke on a green fixed with brooks saddle... chapeau.

andy

peejay78

come to london, they're two a penny down here.

and they ain't quick either.

I certainly go past my commuting buddy on the hills - just when he's faffing around with his second gear change down.

It's not a 600ft climb though, more like 16ft.

How steep is it down the other side?

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

Twenty Inch said:
I certainly go past my commuting buddy on the hills - just when he's faffing around with his second gear change down.

It's not a 600ft climb though, more like 16ft.

How steep is it down the other side?

Well thats the pay off! The other side is a gentle downhill all the way into Leeds, about 8 miles.:wacko: Very pleasant.

ASC1951

Guru
I have a regular route on my 46 x 17 fixed which takes me from Chapel Allerton over to Kirkstall and up Tinshill Approach to Holt Park, then along the Chevin. I also do the climb up the Chevin from Menston or from Otley (Birdcage Walk?) straight up to Chevin End on it. It wasn't me you saw, though, Andy - I have the Brooks saddle but not the cap*.

I did get up Skipton - Embsay Crag - Barden Tower on the beast once, but that was when I was 15 years younger, lighter and stupider. I live in hope of doing it again.

*I've thought of another reason. It wouldn't have taken you until Headingley to catch me. Bramhope would have done it.

ASC1951 said:
I have a regular route on my 46 x 17 fixed which takes me from Chapel Allerton over to Kirkstall and up Tinshill Approach to Holt Park, then along the Chevin. I also do the climb up the Chevin from Menston or from Otley (Birdcage Walk?) straight up to Chevin End on it. It wasn't me you saw, though, Andy - I have the Brooks saddle but not the cap*.

I did get up Skipton - Embsay Crag - Barden Tower on the beast once, but that was when I was 15 years younger, lighter and stupider. I live in hope of doing it again.

*I've thought of another reason. It wouldn't have taken you until Headingley to catch me. Bramhope would have done it.

I'd love to give that a go. Plenty of hills here in Kent to try though.

dudi

not so many long hills here in suffolk, and my gearing is 48x16.

going up ditchling beacon on it on sunday. will see how it goes!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
dudi said:
not so many long hills here in suffolk, and my gearing is 48x16.

going up ditchling beacon on it on sunday. will see how it goes!

Look out for me and my mates on skates, we're off at 07.30ish, I'll be one of those in lycra, with LSMike on the back! 48x16, crikey mate! I reckon I'd hurt on 48x19, which is what I'm riding.

skwerl

BentMikey said:
Look out for me and my mates on skates, we're off at 07.30ish, I'll be one of those in lycra, with LSMike on the back! 48x16, crikey mate! I reckon I'd hurt on 48x19, which is what I'm riding.

on a completely differnt note: do you know a guy called Kim Hendrikse? He's also a fruit-booter

dudi

Mikey, I'll keep an eye open for you, we're setting off at 7.00 so you'll probably overtake at some point.

I'll be in black and white lycra to match my black & white bike (vane i know)... will be riding with my brother on a blue Claud Butler and my brother in law on a MTB.

you'll find us by the roadside, i'll be standing around while the other two are huffing and puffing...

and then you'll find me collapsed at the top of Ditchling eating an ice-cream hopefully!

Top Bottom