Wrist/hand pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattsccm

Any comments based on your experiences. Firstly i have a touch of arthritis in many joints so i suspect that this may be the root of my problem. Even a short ride gives a dull but annoying ache in my hands and wrists. It's really weight on them related although my finger joints seem a touch tender. A more upright position helps a touch but not a lot and i have gone as far as i can there without buying a Dutch style bike. The usual dietry supplements haven't helped over a period of a year or so. Constant changing of grip helps a touch. Using double padded tape over gel inserts plus padded mitts. Actually they are worse than bare hands, guess the padding isn't right. Conviently numb fingers from poor padding helps the ache. I can't feel it.
i suspect it's something to live with but anything else worth trying? Apart form buying a recumbant that is!!

rmiker

I had very similar problems, aching hands/wrists and tingly fingers. Also had neck problems.

When I retired I built a new Surly LHT tourer, as I now had more time to up my mileages.
Started off with flat bars/ large Ergon GP-1 grips and bar ends.

Slowly, I have raised my bars using a 17deg stem on top of an uncut steerer.
The latest change is to a pair of high rise Thorn 'Comfort' bars.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-thorn-mk2-comfort-handlebars-254mm-clamp-satin-black-prod12228/

I'm now sitting well back in the saddle with a minimum amount of weight on my hands.
Very pleased to say, this seems to have solved my problems.

Mike

Chutzpah

Über Member
Are you gripping the handlebars tight? When I started cycling again a few months ago I was getting a numb finger on my left hand, and my little finger wouldn't sit in line with my ring finger (it was constantly pointing outwards).

A quick bit of googling suggested it could have been to do with bending my wrists/hands and gripping the bars too tight. Consciously worked on ensuring my grip was loose and that helped a lot.

Steve N

Are you gripping the handlebars tight? When I started cycling again a few months ago I was getting a numb finger on my left hand, and my little finger wouldn't sit in line with my ring finger (it was constantly pointing outwards).

A quick bit of googling suggested it could have been to do with bending my wrists/hands and gripping the bars too tight. Consciously worked on ensuring my grip was loose and that helped a lot.
You may find a wrist support brace helps. It stops too much movement in the wrist joints/bones.
I do a lot of driving and I was aggravating the arthritis in my right hand and a support helped a lot.
You need one with a stiffening splint in it. These let you velco them up semi tight. Don't go for the design that works by wrapping tightly round the wrists as it'll get uncomfortable and restrict the blood flow.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Other than getting a full 'bike set up' done at a good LBS............not much....

I'm a newby to arthritis (also have tingly left hand) - sustained following an interaction with a car...... :wacko: my shoulder can really hurt - so much as I can't sleep..... get on the bike and it's OK.....only because I ride the bike hard, and everything else hurts more....legs/lungs....etc.............. :whistle:.....my consultant doesn't like it......... :tongue:

Exercise is best for arthritis......

Top Bottom