Wrynose Or bust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Wrynose or bust 2011

Hi
Just been invited to go along and do the shorter 60 mile bay dash next April , and was wondering has anyone done this and what am i letting myself in for.

I have done plenty of sportives but never a hilly route, did this years Manchester 100km in a tad over four hours so based on that would i be looking at 5-6 hours for the hillier around the bay route or is not that bad.

Garz

Squat Member
I done this this year (2010), however the longer 'wrynose or bust' distance riding this with a similar fitness colleage.

My other work friends took the bay dash option and loved it. It's not too taxing and not that hilly so you should enjoy the scenery if your not into the fast timing.

Unfortunately it rained all morning and climbing up the wrynose pass wasn't as bad as some make it out but the descent afterwards was terrifying. My friend came off his bike and bashed his head and found out afterwards he broke a rib. I supported him for the rest of the journey (~45miles or so) even though the stubborn bugger wouldn't take my advice and get a lift back from the wagon. We completed it in about 8 hours (114 miles as we got lost once adding a couple on) so not that bad but I was in great shape.

You will be fine for the 60!! Plenty of time to train!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well the Wrynose itself is pretty desperate - both in ascent and descent, but your route avoids that.
In fact it really doesnt look that hilly at all.

Ajay

Veteran
Yes, the Bay Dash is relatively flat and doesn't include any major climbs. You will spend quite a large part of the ride retracing your outward route on the return to Lancaster, which is disappointing as we're blessed with so many great lanes in the area to use. However, it is a genuine charity event so I'm not criticisng!
Should you want a hilly challenge from Lancaster, on the country's best cycling roads then check out https://sites.google.com/site/leterrier2011/ the new Le Terrier long course is possibily the most sadistic sportive route in the country, but I guess that's a topic for another thread!

Top Bottom