Wtf........ put weight on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well before I started my regime (lol) I weighed myself 1 week on I put on a stone???? I have been eating all the right things and none stop cycling, how the hell has that happened....?? Weighed myself same spot same scales.... New scales needed maybe?

Garz

Squat Member
Scales can sometimes be inaccurate however only by say 1-2lbs. Have you been eating sensibly or just stuffing your face like I do sometimes after a ride when I'm starving?

I put some weight back on recently due to incorporating 5-a-side football once weekly and letting the diet slip a bit. My fitness levels are the same but the football and sprinting have edged some muscle on and this weighs more than water/fat.

Would also be handy knowing your leg dimensions before your regime as you may have beefed up the legs since..
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
Mark82

Mark82

My diet has never been better tbh eating properly not over eating no matter how tempting, obviously more fluids but only when needed and only when on rides? .? As for leg measurement wound I measure just the calves and thighs? And would I measure relax or tense????

carpiste

Guru
I just started on the diet/training.First 2 weeks I lost 14 lbs,and was well chuffed.Just weighed myself tonight and this week only lost 1lb !
Eating well,no different to previous 2 weeks so I guess im building up muscle with the cycling,which is getting easier ;)
Maybe I just need to go up a level with the cycling?

jimboalee

I will lay odds you have looked on the internet and found a kCals/hour value for cycling. I will lay more odds that you have indulged in that number of calories.

Those websites only serve to keep people going back to Weightwatchers, Slimmers' World, Rosemary Conman and all the other 'pay through the nose' reducing classes.

How far do you ride? Do you ride a 100 km Audax every day? If you don't ride as far as this, you only need to eat about a quarter of the published number on top of your Basal Metabolic Rate.

If you are only riding for about two hours each day, there is no real need to eat anything extra.

slugonabike

Even if you had been stuffing your face every day, a full stone is still pretty extreme in a week! I think you might be correct in wondering whether your scales are knackered.

OP
OP
Mark82

Mark82

yes I'm sure, not seen any cal guide lines or cycling charts for cals I cut all the shoot out my diet and eating as per a diet plan set by my doc to the letter so there's no over eating what so ever.... ? Scales really must be wrong

screenman

Legendary Member
Blimey you must have eat 49,000 calories more than you needed. Muscle takes a long time to build up to any significant weight gain I would have thought.

walker

Although gaining a stone is excessive your weight gain is down to your training. your body is now storing more calories and water to supply when your exercising. this is normal and will flatten out later down the line. this is stored in the muscles and with the gain in muscle it all adds up, but we are only looking at around 5-7lb. but everybody is different and can be affected in different ways.
My advice is to have a 1-2 day rest tehn get back on the bike.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I just started on the diet/training.First 2 weeks I lost 14 lbs,and was well chuffed.Just weighed myself tonight and this week only lost 1lb !
Eating well,no different to previous 2 weeks so I guess im building up muscle with the cycling,which is getting easier ;)
Maybe I just need to go up a level with the cycling?

If you lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks, something is wrong! Thats not sustainable, 7lbs a week is ridiculous weight loss, have you been weighing yourself at the same time of day, i.e. preferably in the morning, naked after going to the toilet? Even if you are a big guy you shouldnt be dropping 7lbs in a week. Which you have probly come to realise since you can only just shift 1lb a week (which is a normal amount of weightloss, 1-2lbs is acceptable). Unless you are pretty much in trim then muscle gain should hardly dent weight loss figures, muscle takes longer to build than fat does to burn.

To put this in context, I've been cycling and running about 5 months seriously, lost over 2 stone, and my muscle mass has hardly increased at all (definintion has obviously improved, but actual measurements of thigh size etc, actually have decreased slightly due to fat loss), yet I'm a pretty strong cyclist for a non-racing type.

Maybe Jimbo can be arsed to explain the numbers for you here since he seems to enjoy doing that, sadly I really cant be bothered because there are so many guides, studies, books etc out there already, you need to do some reading though by the sounds of it.

Good Luck with your weight loss.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
an even simpler solution: ditch the scales and keep with the exercise and healthy eating.

judge 'weight loss' by how your clothes fit. shirts that feel baggier and needing a belt for a pair of trousers that previously fitted well without are indicators that things are going the right way.

as jimbo said, beware of any device that tells you how many calories you've burned; they rely on speed/distance with weight factored in, but don't take account of the route (up/down hill) or if the ride was a breeze for a fit individual that barely broke sweat or a real challenge for someone who's pretty unfit.

even between devices, there's too much variance. i've known differences of 200kcal from the same ride with different devices (bike comp and gps tracker).

OP
OP
Mark82

Mark82

That's just it even in a week I had to tighten my belt an extra hole.. lol... so something not right, as for getting off my bike before weighing myself... lol good one :-) as for the process of weighting, first thing in the morning, b@ll@ck naked, dump piss even brush my teeth first.. lol so I do the same every time I weigh myself.. maybe I should ditch the scales and get the docs to do it once a month?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Wouldnt waste a GP's time to get weighed. Buy a set of new scales from argos if yours are sketchy, put them in the same place every time you use them (on a hard floor) and keep note of trends, not absolute values.

If clothes fitting is an indicator, 2 stone loss has caused me to have my 34 waist jeans etc fitting normal, to actually falling down without a belt (which I had to get an extra hole added too to account for the weight loss). :tongue: The sense of accomplishment is tarnished by having to pull my pants up constantly, hah

Top Bottom