WTF???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
<rant>
Proof that Mr and Mrs Average really are complete morons:

In my local tescos they have the "indian" and "chinese" sections (both of which contain English imitations of real Indian and Chinese food) right next to the "international" section (where they have real Indian and Chinese food, as well as Japanese, Polish etc).

Now.

In the English Imitation section you can get tiny little bottles of fish sauce (for example) for four times the price that you pay for a bottle of real Thai fish sauce, which is available not five feet away in the "international" section.

And yet what do people do? They fill their baskets with imitation crap that costs four times the price of the real stuff, which is not five feet away and which they can see with their own eyes in their own head.

I know it's not a major thing, but it just bugs me! I want to turn round and say, "Look, you pillock! Look at this, you pea-brained mollusc! Look what you can buy for 1/4 of the price! And it tastes better! Retard!".
</rant>

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
wont stay 1/4 the price if all the 'retards' start buying it though will it? ..nah...let the sheep be sheep...their loss.

TVC

I know what you mean, I've seen that myself.

There is a woman at work who lives 50 yards from a Chinese supermarket, but buys little bottles of soy for £1.85 when you can get 1 litre of the proper stuff for 85p at the end of her road. The same goes for all the other 'ethnic' stuff she buys.

It beats me as well how come living in Leicester as we do, people buy small jars of Indian spices from the majors when every corner shop is rammed with bags of the stuff for a fraction of the price.

These I suspect are the same ones who are supposed to throw away 25% of their food each week - but that's moving onto 'Arch' type rant areas.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's not confined to Tescos.

I use a lot of coconut cream. In the faux international section of my local supermarket it is £0.69 for 100g. In the true international section an entirely different brand is sold at £0.29 for 100g. The £0.69 product is the big seller because it is a known named brand.

I also find it a hoot when I have to identify the 'exotic' fruit and veg that I sometimes buy in the supermarket. Mind you I also have had to identify indigenous veg at the check outs for the benefit of the check out operator.

However, the problem is not confined to national chains of supermarkets. I had to identify nearly all of the fruit and veg in my basket for the asian check out girl in an asian supermarket in Harehills in Leeds. Clearly she's not had shopping and kitchen experience like a good girl should have :ohmy:

Top Bottom