X-rated Hustle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozzy

Hi, Not 1 week after moving to a new address my son's bike has been stolen from our back garden!! I am more than 95% sure I know who has the bike (basically i've seen it), and have reported it to the police. Unfortunately because I don't have the serial number I cannot prove it is my son's bike. We got it from Halfords last Christmas and they have informed me the do not keep a record of the serial numbers of the bikes they sell which seems bizarre to me!!! Anyone got any ideas??? Help!!

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Hi, Not 1 week after moving to a new address my son's bike has been stolen from our back garden!! I am more than 95% sure I know who has the bike (basically i've seen it), and have reported it to the police. Unfortunately because I don't have the serial number I cannot prove it is my son's bike. We got it from Halfords last Christmas and they have informed me the do not keep a record of the serial numbers of the bikes they sell which seems bizarre to me!!! Anyone got any ideas??? Help!!

Pretty sure Halfords do keep the serial number. They use it for many reason - stock check, servicing history, returns and refunds. Think they have fobbed you off.

Ivan Ardon

You'll need to be more than sure it's your son's bike before the police are going to do anything about getting it back. It's a cheap BMX, sold by the most popular cycle retailer in the country. They've probably sold quite a few. In the absence of any unique identifying marks, you're on a hiding to nothing, IMO.

I can totally believe them when they say they don't keep a copy of the serial numbers on these. They may not even have serial numbers, I've seen many low end bikes without.

I'd be looking at getting a crime number for the theft from the police and claiming on my insurance (actually, for a £130 bike, I'd just buy another).

OP
OP
L

Lozzy

Well, I've been onto Halfords Head Office and they were very much of the opinion that they do not keep the serial numbers of the bikes they sell, which basically means I could take any bike (of the same make as my sons) and ask them to fix it etc, as they do not match the actual bike to the guarantee though I've noticed that other retailers do. I do find this quite disgusting for a major bike retailer not to have such information on the goods they sell. Also, it may be a 'cheap bmx' but it is was still my sons and he loved it, plus I'm not made of money to simply buy him another one!!!!!! I suppose its just the principle of the thing which has annoyed me the most, I mean is it such a big deal for the retailer to type an 8 digit number onto the sales receipt?? I mean really????? Anyway lesson learned, have stepped up my security and hired an assassin to take care of the thief!! Ha ha, of course i'm only joking?

Norm

I do find this quite disgusting for a major bike retailer not to have such information on the goods they sell.
You consider it quite disgusting that Halfords didn't keep such information, but you didn't have such information on a bike which you bought and was loved. :huh:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

I would steel it back. Simple!

gds58

Über Member
I would steel it back. Simple!

Sounds like a plan!! If the guy who's got it has stolen it then he's hardly likely to call the Police if it goes missing from his garden!! Might be worth just fronting it out and taking it back. If he gets a bit sh*tty then call the Police and see how he reacts then!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Sounds like a plan!! If the guy who's got it has stolen it then he's hardly likely to call the Police if it goes missing from his garden!! Might be worth just fronting it out and taking it back. If he gets a bit sh*tty then call the Police and see how he reacts then!

But if the person who has it isn't the person who stole it, you could be the one with the criminal record.

Top Bottom