YAFP (Yet Another Fixie Project)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Yay!!

I've been looking around for a while (and got other people on the case too at Car Boot Sales etc.).. and have now finally managed to get myself a (half) decent frame with which to start my fixie project. :sad:

For the princely sum of 0.00p I have picked up a Peugeot Lautaret frame which was heading for the scrap heap in the sky.

Rather luckily it is a 56cm frame which is the same as I currently ride, double bonus!! :tongue:

Currently I am at the 'Before' stage in that I have the frame and have only just started work on it. Hopefully the 'After' photos will be rather nicer and not involve the frame being in a skip somewhere!! :ohmy:;)

So... << insert drumroll >> ... here she is in her original state:

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

q2OHEVm5c2ihKTipYJZgug

...complete with 'unique' forks (note the urge to slant to one side!)

IMG_0065.JPG

So, at first glance my shopping list will include (but probably not be constrained to):

700c Wheels x 2 (fixed rear hub)
Forks (threaded)
Crankset (the current one is an El Cheapo one in which the two chainrings are attached by rivets and cannot be parted)
BB (feels like there's quite a bit of play, but *may* just require some tightening)
Brake Blocks and Cables
Seat post and saddle

What have I missed?

It's my first real complete deconstruction of a bike to its components and then a rebuil, and I'm looking forward to it (no doubt with lots of advice from you knowledgeable peeps on here).

More photos as time passes. Advice and/or donation of spares gratefully received!! :biggrin:

q2OHEVm5c2ihKTipYJZgug

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yey, another fixed project:thumbsup::becool::thumbsup::tongue::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dont think you have missed anything, chain maybe?
Oh and
Sprocket.
Pedals(if you havent already got some)
Bar tape(if you havent got any)

Have fun:becool:

Tharg2007

Veteran
you may have to replace the bb as well as it will affect your chain line, if you go for rpm cranks i think you get a bb included, although the chainring you get with most low cost crank sets are egg shaped and made of butter.
GBH in town will do you a set of velocity deep Vs on on-one hubs for about 130, i have these rims on the red bike you saw the other day, they are bomb proof and they will be nice to move to your next project after this one.

Tharg2007

Veteran
oh, i got a pair of black threaded 1" forks with mg eyes from that bankrupt bloke on ebay, not the lightest but not bad either, only cost a tenner inc postage.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Cheers guys.

Joe, good point about the chain and the sprocket... wouldn't get very far without them! :smile::smile:

For the pedals I have some flats in the first instance, but will probably go clipless when I can sneak them under the Wife-radar :tongue:. I've already said to her than 'denying' (well, procrastinating rather than full denying) me getting a fixed on the C2W scheme will probably end up costing more as I do this project and (inevitably) get the new one too.. it's amazing what a few well timed reminders about all the cr*p she spends money on can do! :biggrin:

So far I've removed everything but the BB (need another tool for that that I don't have in my current setup - grrr!) and now have a bucket full of removed bits.

I'm considering what colour to have it powder-coated in... but I'm not really sure whether it'll get such divine treatment (depends how well it turns out, I guess!) and have started looking round for bits to put back on it... I'll try to get some 'During' photos soon...

Cheers for now. :sad:

Tharg2007

Veteran
what steel is it? if its gas pipe i would just hammerite it instead as even after a powder coat it might not be worth more that the coat itself, if its 531 then i would say go for it.
BTW if you dont have a key for that lock just get the scissors to it :smile:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The way to get new pedals is to tell your wife that it is not safe to ride fixed without them(which it isnt, you need some foot retention at least) and without clipless pedals you could come off and crash.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Tharg2007 said:
what steel is it? if its gas pipe i would just hammerite it instead as even after a powder coat it might not be worth more that the coat itself, if its 531 then i would say go for it.
BTW if you dont have a key for that lock just get the scissors to it ;)
I assumed it would say somewhere on the frame, but have been unable to find it. There are stickers to say it was "Hand built by Harry Hall, Manchester" but I can't find out details of the material. It may end up with Hammerite anyway, smallest expense and all that... but if I'm really proud of it and think it's worth it I may splash out to finish the job properly.

The lock has already been cut so I don't have to worry about it... but yes, I was thinking it wasn't up to much! :sad:

rustychisel

Errrrrr, hope you've examined that frame VERY CAREFULLY indeed!!!

It looks ok, but the low resolution image doesn't allow close inspection, and as you've indicated the forks are done for being both sideways and the picture shows, pushed back. That bike had a rather heavy shunt in the front end (hit parked car??), so examine the frame (top tube and underside of downtube for creasing/bending/paint chipping to determine if only the fork took the hit.

Tel

Veteran
Its probably Peugeots HLE tubing which is just your standard gaspipe tubed frame, perhaps a little better. I wouldn't spend mega bucks on it and like rustychisel said check carefully for creases in paintwork and get a straight edge on the top and downtube, etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Let me know the frame size...I have some 653 forks lying in the garage (frame write off - transit van.....episode)...but it WAS a 22 inch frame, so not a big stack height, and I know you have a few inches on me.............. (It's race forks though - no guards fittings or clearance (i.e. 23mm tyres will fill the space)............

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
rustychisel said:
Errrrrr, hope you've examined that frame VERY CAREFULLY indeed!!!
All seems to be fine... I'll get some closeup piccies for you guys to take a look at just to be on the safe side (and then sue you all if it breaks! ;)).

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
fossyant said:
Let me know the frame size...I have some 653 forks lying in the garage (frame write off - transit van.....episode)...but it WAS a 22 inch frame, so not a big stack height, and I know you have a few inches on me.............. (It's race forks though - no guards fittings or clearance (i.e. 23mm tyres will fill the space)............
Cheers for the offer of the forks, Fossy - the forks currently ave a steering tube length of approx 18cm (7") with the top approx 3cm being threaded (that last bit from memory, not actually measured it)... is that compatible?

As for the bold bit... very kind of you to say, but how do you know? ;);)

Top Bottom