Yellow Pages final edition

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by AndyRM, 10 Oct 2018.

1. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

The announcement that the Yellow Pages was to fully digitise by the end of this year passed me by, so the 'Final Edition' dropping off through my letterbox was a surprise. I'm amazed it's kept going in printed form for so long to be honest.

I've never really seen the point in it, but then I have grown up in the internet age so have been spoiled for readily available information. One of the earliest memories of advertising I have is of the wee boy standing on a stack of them to kiss a girl under mistletoe. That wouldn't work with it's slimline A5 format and definitely not with a stack of digital devices.

My vaguely nostalgic ramble doesn't really have a point, other than it's pretty incredible how much communication has changed, particularly in the last 15 to 20 years. A lot of it has been great, some bad, some pleasingly daft (Habbo Hotel anyone?) and it's impossible to know where we'll end up, but it won't be with gigantic books full of phone numbers, probably.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  2. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

what will students use as emergengcy bog roll now?

3. midlife

midlife Veteran

Thompson's Local?

Chris S and Salty seadog like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

They were ahead of the game. Digital only since 2016'

midlife likes this.
  5. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Yellow pages was the google of it's day. Now mine are thrown away unopened.

6. robgul

robgul Guru

A bit of history ... way back in about 1979 the French were rolling out their Minitel terminals to phone subscribers if they agreed to forego printed phone books ... we in the UK were signing massive printing contracts for the old white phone books and Yellow Pages/Thomson directories.

Minitel was a pretty simple screen based system for directory enquiries and as it developed other information - we in the UK then had Prestel (Viewdata/Videotex) that was a 2 way version of the old Teletext - and everyone thought the WWW was the big new thing !!!... it's just a better version of France's Minitel and our Prestel.

I had an arrangement with the chap that used to deliver Yellow Pages - he missed out our house to save me walking to the recycle bin.

Here endeth the lesson .

Rob

PK99 and AndyRM like this.
  7. Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

My parents are going to struggle a bit more. Zero online presence and no internet into their house. Where they live doesn't seem to have any 3G let alone 4G coverage. Even if that changes, they only have my old Nokia block!

8. OP
    OP
    AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

I hadn't really considered that, despite my folks being similarly rural (as I'm guessing yours are). Good point. And despite what I said in my opening ramble, internet coverage in the UK is pathetic.

Hugh Manatee likes this.
  9. Mugshot

Mugshot Guru

Never mind that, how are they going to cope on The Apprentice find an item challenge?

alicat likes this.
  10. Jimidh

Jimidh Über Member

In a previous life I used to work on the acquisitions team for one of the large pharmacy chains.

When we were looking at a pharmacy to buy one of my jobs was to visit the town, head to the local library, buy a map and then sit down with the Yellow Pages and find all the local doctors and competitor pharmacies.

I then had to walk round the town taking photos and plotting the locations on the map with sticky dots!!

11. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

I understand they sent them abroad this year, so even if they could use search engines, there were language barriers.

12. Mugshot

Mugshot Guru

They did, but there's not much of a language barrier in Malta.

13. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

:eek: So WTF was all the "yummy yummy" stuff in the adverts/trailer about? :wacko: Apprentice contestants are able to create a language barrier in a country where ~90% speak English. If only contestants spoke English instead of business-babble.

14. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

and yet....... I have just had a minor dispute with my local council IT department regarding my failed effort to contact one particular Council Department online. It was never a problem until the Council decided to economise by no longer listing their various departments in the 'Phone Book:sad:.

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice